GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2023-09-26Attending

   -

   Torben Barsballe
   -

   Jody Garnett
   -

   Jukka Rahkonnen
   -

   Andrea Aime

Actions from prior meetings:

   -

   action: Discuss with Alexandre Gacon on the geoserver-devel list about
   translation (done)
   -

   action: Ask on the geoserver-devel list for assistance setting up new
   branches and jobs (done)

Agenda

   -

   GeoServer 2.24-RC / GeoTools 30-RC
   -

   GSIP 220 - Revised Security Policy and CVE handling

Actions

   -

GeoServer 2.24-RC / GeoTools 30-RC

GeoTools 30-RC:

   -

   thanks to downstream projects you are excellent

Released:

https://geoserver.org/announcements/2023/09/25/geoserver-2-24-RC-released.html

   -

   twitter (aaime)
   -

   mastodon (jody)
   -

   linkedin (jody)

Community modules:

   -

   script worked well :) added instructions for next time
   -

   consider updating script to block out community module tickets from the
   main list
   -

   action: gabe did not have docs for geoserver-acl
   -

   action: GPL license is not included
   -

   GEOS-11134 - GeoServer 2.24-RC packaging feedback
   <https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-11134>

When do we wish to make the release?

   -

   two weeks → October 10th?

Docker image with ogcapi features

> docker run -it -p8080:8080 --env INSTALL_EXTENSIONS=true --env
COMMUNITY_EXTENSIONS="ogcapi-features" docker.osgeo.org/geoserver:2.24.x

Welcome to GeoServer 2.24-RC

Initialize /opt/geoserver_data/ from data directory included in
geoserver.war

Starting download of extensions

URL does not exist: /geoserver-2.24-RC-ogcapi-features-plugin.zip

Finished download of extensions

Starting installation of extensions

Finished installation of extensions

lol:

   -

   2.24.x should pull from nightly server
   -

   stable should pull from source forge
   -

   it got confused checking 2.24-RC and thinks it is a “snapshot”

https://build.geoserver.org/view/release/job/geoserver-release-docker/390/parameters/

https://build.geoserver.org/view/release/job/geoserver-release-docker/390/console

Jody fails bash if/else check:

   -

   https://github.com/geoserver/docker/blob/master/build/release.sh

GSIP 220 - Revised Security Policy and CVE handling

The experiment with creating a CVE number has helped communication with
national CVE Numbering Authority, they recommend our policy is clearly a
“Coordinated Vulnerability Disclosure” (since we disclose when patch is
ready on stable and maintenance).

   -

   Be clear we can provide CVE number
   -

   Be clear we time our announcements in SECURITY.md file

action:

   -

   jody: update security.md file with “Coordinated Vulnerability
   Disclosure” heading
   -

   aaime: credit steve on jai-ext jiffle vulnerability? it was already one
   ..

Steve wished credit on https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-59x6-g4jr-4hxc

   -

   this was externally reported so we do not have direct control
   -

   jody did a pull request, perhaps steve can do the same?
   -

   jody also asked MITRE three times to update the original (
   https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-35042)

aside: Credit Steve on:

   -

   GHSA-59x6-g4jr-4hxc
   -

   GHSA-fh7p-5f6g-vj2w

Update prior security vulnerability sections:

   -

   https://geoserver.org/announcements/2023/07/21/geoserver-2-23-2-released.html
   publish the new CVE number
   update security vulnerability sections with CVE number
   -

https://geoserver.org/announcements/2023/09/25/geoserver-2-24-RC-released.html
   h2 no longer included; not really a vulnerability as no known exploit.
   but we can make a heading for it.

Chit chat

Roadmap - Java 11 becomes EOL in 2024?

   -

   Can we just run with Java 17 and Tomcat 9? I think so …
   -

   Compiling for Java 17? JAI → ImageN?
   -

      We have the code, but *no* test cases were provided (and no native
      code)
      -

      This is clean-room code so we need to write out own test-cases
      -

      https://github.com/eclipse/imagen :)

Tomcat 10:

   -

   someone had success with automatic conversion on the email list? Huh?
   How …
   -

      uses bytecode on the fly hacking …
      -

      “successful” in startup, but I would not trust in production, ..

JavaEE:

   -

   requires Java 17 because of spring6, then need to do everything at once,
   …

   -

   https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Jakarta-EE
   -

TOO MUCH to do in one go? can we split it up …

   -

   Phase 1
   -

      Wicket 7 → Wicket 9