Hi Paul,      In the spirit of constructive engagement, I think you
accept Hari's accusations way too quickly.  To my mind, this is an
article long on charges and short on fact.  The potential CBD lawsuit
Hari refers to (that the Sierra Club decided not to join) is far more
complicated than described.  I'm yet to speak with an environmental law
professor, from any ideological bent, who thinks that moving strongly
ahead to combat climate change with the Clean Air Act through a NAAQS
approach (much less setting the NAAQS at 350ppm) is a good idea.  The
practical implications are daunting (what do you do when the entire
nation is in non-attainment and SIPs literally cannot remedy the
situation?).  Moreover, the potential for political blowback is very
real -- think ESA after the TVA v. Hill decision.  I don't think today's
Congress is nearly as environmentally-committed as it was in 1978.
Reasonable people can differ over this analysis of the CAA litigation
strategy, but to call the Sierra Club's opposition a sell-out is absurd.

I'm not saying that corporate creep can't happen or has not happened in
some instances, perhaps too many, but this breast-beating over losing
environmentalism's soul seems overdone.  There has always been a range
of approaches within the environmental community -- some more
confrontational, some less so.  EDF and NWF have their way of doing
things, CBD has its.  Each can point to a string of successes and
failures.  I've always viewed this as a positive rather than a negative.
 You obviously take a different read on the article than I do, but I'm
going to need a lot more evidence than the CAA litigation strategy, one
REDD pilot story, and accusations of Hari and MacDonald to be persuaded
that the big environmental NGOs have lost their way and sold out.

regards,       jim

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
Professor Jim Salzman
Samuel Fox Mordecai Professor of Law
Nicholas Institute Professor of Environmental Policy
Duke University
Box 90360
Durham NC      27708
USA

office   (1)919.613.7185
fax       (1) 919.613.7231
<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

>>> Paul Wapner <pwap...@american.edu> 3/21/2010 7:50 AM >>>

 I can't verify Hari's claims
(http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100322/hari) but what he reports fits
the general impression many of us have been getting for few years now.

When corporate creep started, many warned of its corrupting influence,
but few thought it could penetrate environmentalism's soul.  We twisted
ourselves to see the wisdom of partnering with polluters--under the
impression that change from within is possible, that one can shift
practices by being friend rather than foe.  With Hari's piece, we learn
that change from within IS possible: the corporates have taken the "long
walk through the institutions," and have left some of our most venerable
environmental groups shells for the moneyed green world.

Hari's article is painful to read.  As Hari points out, those of us who
care about the earth's ecosystem services and its most vulnerable must
now add to our list of things to save environmentalism itself.  It is a
sad day when the very movement we've built to breathe ecological reality
into our politics is in need of resuscitation.

But, this is our call.  Let's publicize Hari's critique, and demand
accountability.  Let's send hardcopies of his article in all of those
post-paid envelopes we receive asking for our donations.  Let's continue
to pay our rent on the planet by giving only to those groups who refuse
polluters' money, and let's support political efforts that speak on
behalf of ecological and social justice realities.

Environmentalism is one of the most profound and generous human
expressions.  There is no question that witnessing the ecological
dismemberment of the earth is and will continue to be a sorrowful
experience.  Imagine witnessing this without a movement committed to
bringing a dose of genuine humanity to our descent, and the road forward
becomes downright agonizing.

Let's swerve.  There is a battle for environmentalism's soul being
played out as two paths diverge in a darkening and warming wood.  Turn
left.

Further thoughts?

(A bit of self promotion: I just published, Living through the End of
Nature: The Future of American Environmentalism (
http://www.amazon.com/Living-Through-End-Nature-Environmentalism/dp/0262014157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261413704&sr=8-1_blank
))

Paul

Paul Wapner
Associate Professor
Director, Global Environmental Politics Program
School of International Service
American University
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20016
(202) 885-1647

Pam Chasek <p...@iisd.org>
Sent by: gep-ed@googlegroups.com
03/20/2010 10:41 AM

Please respond to
p...@iisd.org

"gawsm...@ucdavis.edu" <gawsm...@ucdavis.edu>,
"gep-ed@googlegroups.com" <gep-ed@googlegroups.com>

cc

Subject

RE: [gep-ed] Johann Hari in The Nation

I think part of the problem is that many of us have been on spring
break this week.

I asked for and received a reaction from a “high-level” representative
of one of the environmental groups mentioned in the article. Here’s what
he said:

“They never talked to us before this was published. They sent me an
email saying I could write a 300 word response that they would post in
their web. I talked to Katrina their publisher to no avail. Leah Hair,
Bill Ruckleshaus, and several others also wrote. They are practicing
junk journalism on the left.”

Have the environmental groups been co-opted? Perhaps. I guess this goes
back to the age-old debate: when do you compromise your sense of
idealism for the reality of what small gains are possible in the society
in which we live. Many admirable souls will not give up the fight.
Others reluctantly recognize that they cannot give up their cars, their
computers, their consumptive lifestyles, travel and food choices to
reduce CO2 emissions enough to make a difference.  And the environmental
groups? Are they trying to fight the battle or have they given up and
are happy with minor victories? I clearly agree that they have not been
that effective in their work at the national level or international
level for that matter. But how much can we really expect? I don’t know.

Pamela S. Chasek, Ph.D.
Executive Editor, Earth Negotiations Bulletin
IISD Reporting Services

300 East 56th Street #11A New York, NY 10022 USA
Tel: +1 212-888-2737- Fax: +1 646 219 0955
E-mail: p...@iisd.org
International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)
www.iisd.org (
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/pam/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/www.iisd.org
)
IISD Reporting Services - Earth Negotiations Bulletin
www.iisd.ca (
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/pam/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/www.iisd.ca
)
Subscribe for free to our publications