Could anyone provide a clear explanation of the difference between
territorial waters and the EEZ under the Law of the Sea?  Beyond the
obvious geographic distinction (nautical miles from baseline shore), I'm
having a tough time discerning how the coastal state's rights and
responsibilities differ between the two.

(My apologies for the ignorant question.  A couple hours of internet
searches and a query to an expert didn't get me there, and I figure there
must be a straightforward answer.)

Best wishes,
Paul

--
Paul F. Steinberg
Associate Professor of Political Science &

Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, & the Arts
301 East Platt Boulevard
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont, CA 91711
tel. 909-607-3840