Rado,

By coincidence I was just digging around in the literature on this topic.
Three references are below.  To provide a snippet: Landigran and colleagues
conclude that the percentage of illness among US children attributable to
environmental toxic substances is as follows.  "100% for lead poisoning,
30% for asthma (range, 10-35%), 5% for cancer (range, 2-10%), and 10% for
neurobehavioral disorders (range, 5-20%). Total annual costs are estimated
to be $54.9 billion (range $48.8-64.8 billion)."

- Paul

 Annette Prüss et al. (2002) Estimating the Burden of Disease from Water,
Sanitation, and Hygiene at a Global Level, Environmental Health
Perspectives 110 (5): 527-42.

Mokdad et al. (2004) Actual Causes of Death in the United States 2000,
JAMA. 291(10):1238-1245.

Philip J. Landrigan et al. (2002) Environmental Pollutants and Disease in
American Children: Estimates of Morbidity, Mortality, and Costs for Lead
Poisoning, Asthma, Cancer, and Developmental Disabilities, Environmental
Health Perspectives 110(7): 721–28.

--
Paul F. Steinberg
Associate Professor of Political Science &

Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, & the Arts
301 East Platt Boulevard
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont, CA 91711
tel. 909-607-3840