Dear all,

As it turns out, I am about 2 people short in a panel I am organizing for
IASC 2013 (co-organized by our very own GEP-ED Margaret McKean) on new
theory and methods of study of the commons (our GEP-ED colleague DG Webster
is participating, though the other folks I thought would be have since
declined). I would prefer if submissions touched something different from
fish (Webster) or water (Pacheco-Vega). I am including the abstract in case
anybody is interested, please do contact me off the list at my CIDE email.

raul(.)pacheco-vega(@)cide(.)edu

*Panel title:* *New theoretical and empirical approaches to commons research
*

*
*

*A panel submitted to be considered in:*

The *Commons:  **Commoners and the Changing Commons:  Livelihoods,
Environmental Security, and Shared Knowledge**:  **Kitafuji Conference, *Monday
June 3 to Friday June 7, 2013

Mount Fuji, Japan

*Abstract*:

Commons governance problems are much more complex than it would be
apparent, and often require massive, multi-institution, collaborative and
interdisciplinary teams to tackle challenging multi-level, cross-scalar
commons issues. This panel will seek to provide an overview of different
and innovative research methods and novel theoretical approaches to the
study of commons. This panel will focus on the challenges of new
theoretical lenses and innovative empirical research design. The panel will
ask questions that include, but are not limited to:

-          How can we best use agent-based modeling and GIS to study
commons governance?

-          What are the potential barriers to institutional stability and
how can we best theorize institutional erosion and rules/norms decay?

-          How can we advance commons research through the generalization
of large N case studies across countries/regions?

 * *
Thanks in advance!
Raul

Dr. Raul Pacheco-Vega
Assistant Professor, Public Administration Division
CIDE, AC. (Centro de Investigacion y Docencia Economicas, A.C) Region Centro

Circuito Tecnopolo Norte S/N
Col. Hacienda Nueva
Aguascalientes, Ags. 20313
Mexico