Dear GEP-Ed Colleagues,

A number of you have asked whether WHAT'S WRONG WITH CLIMATE POLITICS AND HOW
TO FIX IT is available in electronic format. I am happy to report that it has
now been released in ebook and Kindle formats, in addition to paperback and
hardcover. This gives students (and you) more options. I will paste some
information on the book below.

While I have your attention, please keep an eye out for the ROUTLEDGE HANDBOOK
OF GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL POLITICS, to be published soon. It includes the work of
many of the scholars on this email list. I'm expecting it to be released in
hardback next month, followed by paperback and ebook formats sometime later.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Paul

WHAT'S WRONG WITH CLIMATE POLITICS AND HOW TO FIX IT
Published by Polity

“From front cover to concluding punch line, with brilliant insights in between,
this is a great book – exactly what is needed to reinvigorate a stale climate
debate.” Joanna Depledge, Cambridge University, Times Higher Education

"'Fixing' climate politics is a near-impossible task, but Paul Harris points to
a way forward that does hold out some hope. His clearly written book will also
be useful as an introduction to the problem of climate change and the politics
associated with it."
Peter Singer, Princeton University

"I very much enjoyed reading this book. It is well written, accessible, and
engaging, and packed full of ideas and observations about the challenges of
climate politics. I have no doubt that students will find it stimulating."
Neil Carter, University of York

Governments have failed to stem global emissions of carbon dioxide and other
greenhouse gases causing climate change. Indeed, climate-changing pollution is
increasing globally, and will do so for decades to come without far more
aggressive action. What explains this failure to effectively tackle one of the
world's most serious problems? And what can we do about it?

To answer these questions, Paul G. Harris looks at climate politics as a doctor
might look at a very sick patient. He performs urgent diagnoses and prescribes
vital treatments to revive our ailing planet before it's too late.

The book begins by diagnosing what’s most wrong with climate politics,
including the anachronistic international system, which encourages nations to
fight for their narrowly perceived interests and makes major cuts in greenhouse
pollution extraordinarily difficult, the deadlock between the United States and
China, which together produce over one-third of global greenhouse gas pollution
but do little more than demand that the other act first, and affluent
lifestyles and overconsumption, which are spreading rapidly from industrialized
nations to the developing world.

The book then prescribes several "remedies" for the failed politics of climate
change, including a new kind of climate diplomacy with people at its centre,
national policies that put the common but differentiated responsibilities of
individuals alongside those of nations, and a campaign for simultaneously
enhancing human wellbeing and environmental sustainability. While these
treatments are aspirational, they are not intended to be utopian. As Harris
shows, they are genuine, workable solutions to what ails the politics of
climate change today.

Published in 2013
View more information here:
http://www.politybooks.com/book.asp?ref=9780745652504