Dear Colleagues,

We had a late paper withdrawal from our proposed ISA panel on
trade-environment politics. If you are working in this area and are
interested in joining our panel (details below), please reply to me and
Jean-Frédéric Morin (copied here).

Thanks for considering,

Sikina (also for Jean-Frédéric)

*Panel Title:* Understanding Change in Trade Environment Politics: Adapting
the Debate to a Contemporary Empirical Landscape

*Chair:* Frank Biermann (Utrecht University)

*Discussant:* Fariborz Zelli (Lund University)

*Panel Abstract:*

Scholarship on the nexus between trade and environmental politics peaked in
the late-1990s and early 2000s in the wake of NAFTA’s (first ever)
environmental side agreement, and the WTO’s controversial dispute
settlement body decisions on issues related to sea turtle conservation and
dolphin safe tuna.  The years that followed saw a dramatic loss of inertia
in WTO negotiations more-broadly. As the organization hub of
trade-environment politics, it is not surprising, therefore, that
scholarship on this topic waned in parallel. The papers that make of this
panel highlight several emergent issues in this field that warrant a
resuscitation of attention to trade-environment issues - both within the
WTO and beyond it at the regional and bilateral levels.

*Papers by:*

1) Johannes Urpelainen & Tana Johnson on the WTO-environment;

2) Huaxia Lai on TPP implications for trade and environment dispute;

3) Sikina Jinnah on the link between FTAs and MEAs;

4) Jean-Frédéric Morin, Axel Berger, Clara Brandi & Dominique Bruhn on the
implementation of PTA’s environmental provisions

5) You?

 --
Sikina Jinnah
Assocaite Professor of International Relations

****Post-Treaty Politics
<http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/post-treaty-politics> *(MIT 2014), Winner
ISA's 2016 Harold and Margaret Sprout Award***

****New Book * *New Earth Politics: Essays from the Anthropocene
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/new-earth-politics>* (MIT 2016)***