Dear Colleagues,
*Apologies if you have already received this message*

I’m writing to let you know about a research workshop that I will be hosting
(with David Held) at the Global Policy Institute of Durham University, March
22-24, 2017. I would appreciate it if you could circulate the Call for
Abstracts (see below) within your departments and networks, and to any
individuals that my be especially interested in the themes.

The workshop will broadly be focusing on exploring the interactions between
climate change policies and initiatives at the intergovernmental, transnational
and domestic levels and drawing out lessons for policymakers. The deadline for
submission of abstracts is November 24th, 2016—in two weeks.The workshop is
fully-funded for those authors at universities in COST member countries.

We very much look forward to receiving your abstracts! And, if you have any
questions, please feel free to get in touch with me at
charles.ro...@utoronto.ca<mailto:charles.ro...@utoronto.ca>.

Many thanks,
Charlie

Charles Barclay Roger
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow
The University of Toronto
100 St. George Street, Rm. 3018
Toronto, ON, Canada, M5S 3G3
Profile: http://goo.gl/CdiowT

Call For Abstracts, Fully-funded Research Workshop
March 22-24th 2017
Global Policy Institute, Durham University

Climate Governance after Paris: Exploring the Links Between Intergovernmental,
Transnational and Domestic Climate Policies.

The climate change regime has evolved in a complex fashion over the past 30
years, with a mosaic of interconnected and partially overlapping
intergovernmental, transnational and domestic initiatives appearing. States
have engaged in unilateral policymaking and formed climate clubs amongst
themselves. A host of transnational climate governance initiatives, involving
an array of non-state and sub-state actors, has arisen. Numerous
intergovernmental organizations, such as the UN, G20, IMO, and the World Bank,
have developed their own governance schemes and engaged both state and
non-state actors. Now, after the conclusion of the Paris
Agreement<x-webdoc://C2E3FCA8-8BFA-4222-B52B-5344D8AD04F2/#http://unfccc.int/paris_agreement/items/9485.php>,
 states have finally produced a new intergovernmental treaty that aims to
catalyze, facilitate, and review national efforts, and recognizes the important
role that non-state and sub-state actors will play in the future.
In this context, successful governance of climate change increasingly rests on
the ability of these diverse varieties of governance to develop reinforcing
relationships that can enhance the ambition and effectiveness of each element.
Yet, at present, our understanding of the linkages between them remains
limited. While we have a better understanding of dynamics within each domain
and know that these different elements of the climate regime are interconnected
in important ways, there has been relatively little research into how and when
domestic, intergovernmental, and transnational initiatives can have mutually
reinforcing effects, or, conversely, when actions in one sphere are likely to
hinder or undermine meaningful actions in another. This fully-funded workshop
therefore aims to bring around 20 scholars together in order to foster a deeper
analytical understanding of the linkages between different elements of the
climate regime, and to distill the broader lessons for climate policymaking.
Specifically, the aims of this workshop are three-fold:
First, it aims to conceptualize and map the different pathways through which
domestic, intergovernmental and transnational governance initiatives can
potentially interact with and raise or lower the level of ambition of actions
taken in other governance domains.
Second, it aims to develop our understanding of these linkages by analyzing
specific instances in which domestic, intergovernmental and/or transnational
initiatives have interacted with and reinforced one another, or not.
Specifically, the aim here is to develop positive explanations of when and why
actions in one sphere can influence outcomes in another.
Third, it aims to draw insights from the conceptual and empirical work
undertaken in order to develop lessons for policymakers attempting to leverage
actions in particular spheres.
Papers may be conceptual, empirical, or normative in nature, and can apply a
range of methods. Those addressing the following (and related) types of
questions are welcome:

  *   When do initiatives at the intergovernmental level (the UNFCCC, World
Bank, International Civil Aviation Organizations, G20, and so on) help to
constitute coalitions or create incentives for ambitious actions at the
domestic and/or transnational levels?
  *   Through which pathways can ambitious transnational schemes strengthen or
catalyze governance at the intergovernmental and domestic levels?
  *   What actions have ambitious states taken that might raise the likelihood
of other laggard states adopting ambitious policies? For instance, how do
actions taken by the US or the EU influence the politics and prospects for
climate action elsewhere?
  *   When and why does action in one sphere create disincentives, conflicts,
or counter-coalitions that can stymie ambitious action in other domains? For
instance, how has the collapse of the Clean Development Mechanism or problems
with the EU Emissions Trading System affected climate policymaking in
developing states?
  *   What role have third parties played in facilitating productive linkages
between initiatives in different governance domains? For instance, what role
have non-governmental organizations played in facilitating productive linkages
between the intergovernmental and domestic levels, or what role can
intergovernmental organizations play in facilitating productive linkages
between transnational initiatives and state policies?
  *   What lessons can we draw for different actors aiming to facilitate
productive linkages between different levels of governance?
 Practicalities and Deadlines

  *   Proposals should be submitted by November 24th 2016.
  *   Proposal should be roughly 500 words, and not more than 600.
  *   Applicants will be notified of acceptance by early December 2016.
  *   Full papers of roughly 5000-8000 words should be submitted to the
organizers by March 10th 2017.

Papers should be submitted to Charles Roger at
charles.ro...@utoronto.ca<mailto:charles.ro...@utoronto.ca>. The conference
organizers, David Held
(david.h...@durham.ac.uk<mailto:david.h...@durham.ac.uk>) and Charles Roger are
happy to answer questions about the workshop.
The workshop will be funded under the 4 year COST Action
INOGOV<http://www.inogov.eu/> (IS1309 Innovations in Climate Governance:
Sources, Patterns and Effects) (2014-8). INOGOV will cover reasonable travel
costs and accommodation of all invited authors, subject to standard COST
reimbursement and eligibility
rules<http://www.inogov.eu/resources/expenses-reimbursement/>.