Assessing and Reducing Society`s Environmental Footprint (ETH Zurich Summer
School)

I would herewith like to make you aware of an exciting summer school
opportunity that ETH Zurich’s Institute of Science, Technology and Policy
(ISTP; www.istp.ethz.ch<http://www.istp.ethz.ch>)
is offering via the IDEA League. We will be able to also accept a limited
number (around 5-10) students, preferably PhD students, who are not from the
IDEA League
universities. This is why I am circulating this information here.

The summer school will take place on 3 - 7 September 2018 in Filzbach, around
70 km to the east of Zurich (https://www.lihn.ch).

As documented by and debated in many national and international fora, rich and
poor countries alike are overconsuming natural resources on a massive scale,
with rich
countries tending to offload varying parts of their consumption-related
ecological burdens on poorer countries (https://www.footprintnetwork.org/). The
emphasis of
this summer school will be on:

(1) measuring and assessing the environmental footprint of countries,
industries, firms, and people;

(2) government/state-led measures for reducing the environmental footprint
within and beyond the respective country;

(3) firm- and industry-level measures to that end; and

(4) voluntary consumer measures.

The summer school will combine interactive teaching with team work, whose
results the students will present on the fifth and final day of the summer
school.

There are no registration and accommodation fees. Students selected to
participate in a summer school only have to pay for their own travel costs.

For more information, see:
https://sirop.org/app/7e14840d-81d0-4cf8-afb7-bc940794d3ab

To apply (outside the IDEA League system): send a short letter stating your
motivation, and your CV to: Angelica Serrano:
angelica.serr...@istp.ethz.ch<mailto:angelica.serr...@istp.ethz.ch>

Best regards,
Thomas Bernauer

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Thomas Bernauer

Director
Institute of Science, Technology and Policy