Good morning everyone,

In my opinion, one of the best parts of an editor’s job is when a timely, well
executed special issue is published.  I am excited to say Vol 43 of Energy
Research & Social Science is just that, a hard look at “Sustainable energy
transformations in an age of populism, post-truth politics, and local
resistance,” guested edited by Cornelia Fraune and Michèle Knodt.

See below for a link to the SI and its table of contents. As always, able to
share copies of individual articles, or the whole volume, by request via email.

Sincerely,

Benjamin K. Sovacool
Editor-in-Chief, Energy Research & Social Science

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/energy-research-and-social-science/vol/43/suppl/C

Sustainable energy transformations in an age of populism, post-truth politics,
and local resistance
Edited by Cornelia Fraune and Michèle Knodt
Volume 43, Pages 1-158 (September 2018)

Introduction
Cornelia Fraune, Michèle Knodt, Sustainable energy transformations in an age of
populism, post-truth politics, and local resistance, Energy Research & Social
Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 1-7, ISSN 2214-6296,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.029.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618305322)
Abstract: The increase of right-wing populist parties, post-truth politics, and
local resistance challenges the policies and politics of sustainable energy
transformation. The contributions of this Special Issue address at least one of
these political phenomena in the context of sustainable energy transformation.
They show that populism, especially right-wing populism, and post-truth
politics indicate rising political polarisation on climate and energy policies
while local resistance indicates the political nature of sustainable energy
transformations. More research is needed to explore the causes, nature, and
consequences of the increase in extreme positions on climate and energy
policies across political parties and individuals
Social tensions within sustainable energy transformations
Michael Jefferson, Exaggeration and/or denial: Twin towers of industrial and
commercial interests supposedly intended to accelerate energy transition in the
United Kingdom, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 8-15,
ISSN 2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.008.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618304833)
Abstract: Over the past twenty years debates on the supply of, and demand for,
useful energy have often been characterised by exaggeration on the one part and
denial on the other. Exaggeration has primarily come from vested interests in
promoting certain forms of renewable energy. These interests have been pitted
against fossil fuel ones in claiming the need for transition to a low carbon
world. Such views have often taken insufficient account of locational,
technical, and other performance limitations. Their views have increasingly
rested upon the politicisation of the climatic change debate, despite this
topic’s basic uncertainties. Local interests and concerns, and the claims of
‘populism’, have also intruded. Denial has come from those who are inclined to
dismiss the notion that human activities can change global near surface
temperatures, whereas given the uncertainties a precautionary approach is
required. Sustainable energy transformation is occurring, but we also see
sub-optimal decision-making and exaggerated claims, as is to be expected in an
age of “post-truth politics”. “Post-truth politics” need to be abandoned in the
genuine pursuit of truth and realism. Failing this, social networking will
hinder effective policymaking and its implementation.

Julie MacArthur, Steve Matthewman, Populist resistance and alternative
transitions: Indigenous ownership of energy infrastructure in Aotearoa New
Zealand, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 16-24, ISSN
2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.009.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618304845)
Abstract: The energy transitions necessary to address climate change mitigation
and adaptation manifest unevenly, varying in nature, context, distribution of
benefits and radical depth. While populist developments and economic
protectionism are often viewed pejoratively, we argue that a critical reading
reveals clear connections to progressive social struggles. Frustration with
elite capture of political processes and economic assets manifests in a
populist desire to redistribute political power via nationalist or localist
economic policies. Debates over the benefits of ownership by 'the people' and
representation of marginalized actors are particularly acute in settler states.
We examine Indigenous led energy transitions in Aotearoa New Zealand, via a
critical reading of scholarship on populist resistance and protectionist
sustainability ethic as articulated by Māori scholars. Despite significant and
ongoing challenges, we find that Māori principles and energy
initiatives,particularly in geothermal heat, power and energy efficiency, hold
unique and radical potential to lead the coming energy transition.

Laura Stegemann, Marinus Ossewaarde, A sustainable myth: A neo-Gramscian
perspective on the populist and post-truth tendencies of the European green
growth discourse, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages
25-32, ISSN 2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.015.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618304882)
Abstract: In the search for environmentally sustainable economic paradigms, the
green growth approach has been developed by the EU and economic networks, as
part of a wider sustainability discourse. While the EU repeatedly promotes
sustainable development in the context of its greened hegemonic economic
discourse, its member states’ frustrations regarding the EU’s integrative
policies have been a breeding ground for counter-hegemonic populism. Such
anti-EU and typically right-wing populism promotes national and conventional
modes of energy production that is emancipated from foreign providers, science,
and EU legislation; and it reveals post-truth tendencies in the sense that it
relativizes conventional knowledge as well causation and correlation. In this
paper, we seek to uncover the populist and post-truth tendencies within the
hegemonic green growth discourse itself. In our paper, we seek to unmask the
myth of sustainable energy transformation of the green growth discourse, in
terms of a hegemon’s engagement – EU and associated economic networks – with
post-truth: we find that post-truth tendencies are not only manifested by
counter-hegemonic anti-EU and right-wing populism but is also expressed within
the environmental populist expressions of the hegemonic green growth discourse
itself.

Merethe Dotterud Leiren, Inken Reimer, Historical institutionalist perspective
on the shift from feed-in tariffs towards auctioning in German renewable energy
policy, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 33-40, ISSN
2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.022.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618305152)
Abstract: An early implementer of feed-in tariffs, Germany soon became feed-in
champion, continuously resisting pressures – from the European Commission in
particular – to adopt a competition-oriented approach. The European Commission
never approved of the German feed-in tariff, seeing it as illegal state aid.
However, after the good results in deployment of renewables, other countries
followed suit and feed-in tariffs became the most popular support scheme for
renewables in Europe. Despite this success, the nature of the Energiewende
changed. Germany broke with its feed-in tradition two and a half decades later,
introducing pilot auctions for solar energy in 2014. In 2016, it moved from a
scheme under which every provider of renewable energy was entitled to support
to a competition-oriented approach based on auctioning. Drawing on perspectives
of historical institutionalism and adopting qualitative methods, we argue that
the success of the feed-in tariff in terms of deployment of renewables altered
coalitions of interests in Germany. The German government introduced auctioning
with a view to controlling cost developments and protecting the conventional
energy industries from insolvency. This happened under considerable EU
pressures, given the European Commission’s state aid guidelines, which
prescribe a competition-oriented approach.
energy
Populism and public opinion on energy transformation
Susana Batel, Patrick Devine-Wright, Populism, identities and responses to
energy infrastructures at different scales in the United Kingdom: A post-Brexit
reflection, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 41-47,ISSN
2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.011.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618304869)
Abstract: Recent socio-political events - such as Brexit - have provoked
discussion and uncertainties about the future of the European Union, including
European sustainable energy transitions. Nevertheless, not much research in the
energy and social science domain has discussed and empirically explored how
these socio-political events and related processes - rise in right-wing
populism, post-truth politics - are shaped by and impact public beliefs about
energy issues and the role of changes in people's different-level identities
(local, national, European). In this paper, we discuss the importance of
further exploring these ideas in energy social science research. We examine
results of the Eurobarometer survey in the time span 2007–2016, and of two
different representative surveys of United Kingdom adults, conducted in 2007
and 2012. This data allowed us to explore similarities and differences during
this period regarding attitudes and beliefs about high voltage power lines and
other energy and climate change related issues at different levels, and
associated identities. Results suggest that feelings of belonging to different
imaginary communities play out socio-political and psychological intergroup
relations. We conclude that the ways that these impact on people's responses
regarding energy issues at local, national and European levels represent
promising directions for future research.
renewable energy generation and associated infrastructures; Brexit

Lorenz Kammermann, Clau Dermont, How beliefs of the political elite and
citizens on climate change influence support for Swiss energy transition
policy, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 48-60, ISSN
2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.010.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618304857)
Abstract: This paper analyzes factors that lead to opposition towards policies
in Switzerland that promote a clean energy transition. During legislative
processes, both the elite and general citizens can develop resistance towards
such policies. The article considers those two perspectives and determines, on
both levels, factors that explain opposition. We also specifically take into
account whether climate change skepticism, i.e., questioning that climate
change is real and human-induced, is a key factor that leads to opposition.
Furthermore, we employ structural equation models to account for interactions
between the elite and general citizens. The results show that political actors
who reject the idea of man-made climate change also oppose the promotion of a
clean energy transition, and more generally that elite actors influence how
citizens think about the issue. At the citizen level, an increase in climate
change skepticism has a negative impact on levels of support for clean energy
policy. The link is mainly determined by party affiliation. We conclude that
potential strategies for achieving a clean energy transition should focus on
motivating citizens because they generally seem to be less polarized and
partisan, and thus less opposed to new solutions, than the elite, who tend to
be more constrained in their actions.
Climate change skepticism; Political elite

Philipp A. Trotter, Roy Maconachie, Populism, post-truth politics and the
failure to deceive the public in Uganda’s energy debate, Energy Research &
Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 61-76, ISSN 2214-6296,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.020.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618305139)
Abstract: Using populist tactics to frame energy transitions is neither new nor
a predominantly Western phenomenon. In sub-Saharan Africa, populist leaders
have long dispensed energy endowments for political gains. This paper studies
populism and energy in Uganda, a highly energy-deprived country. Fact-checking
recent governmental speeches and policies reveals a hefty presence of
post-truth politics in Uganda’s energy sector. President Yoweri Museveni’s
attempt to highlight developmental achievements have informed overly optimistic
depictions of electricity planning, generation, transmission, distribution and
pricing. We argue that the success of post-truth politics as a populist
instrument may depend on the public’s ability to easily falsify the respective
claims. While populist narratives have generally helped to legitimise
Museveni’s leadership, our novel household survey data suggest that they have
failed to mask the observable reality of poor governmental electrification
performance. Respondents held sceptical opinions of electrification
achievements, infrastructure status and the attribution of high electricity
tariffs. Over 80% did not believe in the truthfulness of Uganda’s energy
debate, a result robust to different age, gender, residential, educational and
income levels. This well-informed Ugandan public, paired with a growing
international presence and global development goals pose unprecedented
pressures on Uganda’s government to eventually deliver factual, large-scale
electrification.
poverty

Shouro Dasgupta, Enrica De Cian, The influence of institutions, governance, and
public opinion on the environment: Synthesized findings from applied
econometrics studies, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages
77-95, ISSN 2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.023.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618305164)
Abstract: We synthesize the empirical contributions from the existing applied
economics literature examining the influence of institutions and governance on
environmental policy, environmental performance, and green investment. The
literature on the influence of populism and public opinion on environmental
policy adoption is also reviewed in line with the special issue. First, the
paper describes how the relationship between institutions, environmental
performance and environmental policy have been conceptualized and
operationalized in the literature and summarizes the main findings. The second
part of the paper outlines avenues for future research with specific attention
to the energy transition and climate change literature. With respect to the
positivist worldview adopted by this paper, we highlight various opportunities
for empirical work that have recently emerged with the growing availability of
data in the field of green investments, climate, and energy policy. Expanding
the current empirical literature towards these research topics is of both
scientific and policy relevance and can provide important insights on the
broader field of sustainability transition and sustainable development.
Regarding the alternative, non-positivist worldviews, future research could
explore ways to connect the richer approaches such as complex adaptive systems
and socio-technical transition studies with applied econometric methods, as
well as future-oriented studies.
Environmental policy
The political nature of energy supply at the local level
Sebastian Gölz, Oliver Wedderhoff, Explaining regional acceptance of the German
energy transition by including trust in stakeholders and perception of fairness
as socio-institutional factors, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43,
2018, Pages 96-108, ISSN 2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.026.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618305218)
Abstract: In this paper we pursue the hypothesis that acceptance of the energy
transition is not merely determined by technology acceptance but also by the
perception of socio-institutional stakeholders and the perception of fairness.
We test an acceptance model which includes the following main predictors:
attitudes towards the risks of the energy transition and attitudes towards the
technology options such as wind power, photovoltaic systems or transmission
lines. Additional influences are assumed to arise from the perception of
regional added values and the trust in various socio-institutional
stakeholders. Furthermore, we expect fairness to be a mediating variable for
acceptance. In this paper we test the model empirically with a representative
German sample (N = 2009) in a structural equation model (SEM) for the
acceptance of onshore wind power. Moreover, we analyse whether differences in
the factors are related to the German regions North, East, West and South since
we assume regional landscapes, renewable energy sources and socio-political
contexts to be important for acceptance. Results show evidence that perception
of stakeholders and fairness is important for the regional acceptance. In
addition, results show that, among the four regions, different factors are
relevant for acceptance. Results are discussed and conclusions for governance
are drawn.

Y.B. Blumer, L. Braunreiter, A. Kachi, R. Lordan-Perret, F. Oeri,A two-level
analysis of public support: Exploring the role of beliefs in opinions about the
Swiss energy strategy, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages
109-118, ISSN 2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.024.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618305188)
Abstract: Energy system transitions in democracies require that national
interests and central planning are reconciled with the public’s preferences.
This pilot study investigates public support for the Swiss national energy
strategy and two specific technologies that are part of it: expansion of
hydropower and deep geothermal energy. It addresses two research questions.
First, how does public support for a national energy transition differ from
public support for specific technologies endorsed in an energy transition
strategy? Second, are there differences in the factors influencing public
support for these technologies? We investigate these questions empirically with
a survey (N = 640), focusing on understanding the role lay-people’s
expectations about the future energy system, political ideology, and future
orientation play in generating support for these two levels of public support
and for two technologies with different characteristics. We find that while
support for an energy transition is well explained by above factors, this is
true to a much lesser extent for technology support. One conclusion is that
support for an energy transition and for energy technologies is politicized to
varying degrees, which is why their acceptability may be less shaped by their
objective characteristics, but rather by subjective perceptions and beliefs the
public holds towards them.
energy; Expectations; Beliefs

Leanne S. Giordono, Hilary S. Boudet, Anna Karmazina, Casey L. Taylor, Brent S.
Steel, Opposition “overblown”? Community response to wind energy siting in the
Western United States, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages
119-131, ISSN 2214-6296, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.016.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618304870)
Abstract: Much of the literature on local opposition to wind development is
based on small-N case studies of controversial cases. This focus has led to an
emphasis on the so-called “social gap” between positive general attitudes
toward renewable energy development and local resistance to actual proposals.
Instead, we conduct a fuzzy set/Qualitative Comparative Analysis of 53
proposals for wind energy development in the Western United States to better
understand both the amount of local opposition and the factors and processes
that shape it. We find that while some level of local opposition to wind
proposals is not rare, it is typically restricted to more benign activities
that require few resources and take place in standard institutional settings.
Drawing on insights from the literatures on social acceptance of wind and
social movement studies, we show that proximity to protected areas, political
opportunity, and opponents’ framing of the risks posed by wind development are
important factors in driving community resistance. These findings suggest that
resistance to wind energy proposals is more likely to be shaped by existing
processes for public participation than to shape them, and that calls to
streamline regulatory processes to expedite development due to local resistance
may be premature.
polarisation; Sustainable energy transformation

André Calero Valdez, Johanna Kluge, Martina Ziefle, Elitism, trust, opinion
leadership and politics in social protests in Germany, Energy Research & Social
Science, Volume 43, 2018, Pages 132-143, ISSN 2214-6296,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.025.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618305206)
Abstract: Energy infrastructure projects often bring along protests. Protests
as a form of political participation reveal perceptions of locals regarding a
specific project. However, it is still unclear who protesters are and what
drives them. Specifically, the attitude towards protest has not been
extensively studied. We conducted an online survey study with 464 participants
and used partially-least squares structural equation modeling to identify
antecedents to protest attitudes. We included opinion leadership, trust in
institutions, political efficacy and demographic factors in our model to
determine possible causal relationships between these factors. We found that
protest attitude is predominantly influenced by income, protest experience and
political efficacy. No direct association was found for trust in institutions
and opinion leadership.
Political efficacy; Fake news; Post-truth politics; Filter-bubbles

Michelle Graff, Sanya Carley, David M. Konisky, Stakeholder perceptions of the
United States energy transition: Local-level dynamics and community responses
to national politics and policy, Energy Research & Social Science, Volume 43,
2018, Pages 144-157, ISSN 2214-6296,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2018.05.017.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629618304894)
Abstract: The literature on energy transitions tends to focus on forces
operating within entire sectors or across multiple sectors, and usually at the
national or international-level. This focus can disguise the fact that
transitions often have uneven geographic effects, and specifically adverse
consequences for some frontline communities. In this article, we examine how
U.S. communities have fared during the current transition toward lower carbon
sources of energy. We analyze data compiled from interviews and surveys with
stakeholders working in three locations: Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis,
Missouri; and Appalachian coal country. We find that a majority of stakeholders
perceive evidence of the energy transition in their communities and are
concerned about their community’s ability to adapt. Our results, however,
suggest heterogeneity among perceptions across the study sites. Stakeholders in
Appalachia are most concerned about local job loss and employment availability,
with more severe implications for younger and older generations, while those in
Detroit and St. Louis express more concerns about the rising cost of energy and
the implications for low-income residents. We also find that these stakeholder
perceptions do not substantially change after recent political shifts at the
federal level but sub-national activism and collaboration has increased.