Dear all,

We are very excited that the Feral online conference is starting this week
(beginning Monday 12 November), and will run over a course of three weeks. With
given the clear and present dangers of climate change, we believe that these
types of academic engagements will need to become increasingly important in the
foreseeable future.

Our amazing colleagues Nicholas Holm, Tony Carusi, Trisia Farrelly, Sy Taffel
and Lisa Vonk of the Political Ecology Research Centre at Massey University in
New Zealand (one of the POLLEN nodes<https://politicalecologynetwork.com/>)
have put together a fantastic programme that can be followed if/when you have
time in the next couple of weeks. We encourage you to share this with
colleagues, students, family and anyone who is interested.

Best wishes,

Bram, Rob and Jessica (Wageningen University)

Feral: An Online Conference (http://perc.ac.nz/wordpress/feral/) - November 12
– December 2
No registration required.

Please join us for a free online conference examining the concept of the
‘feral’ through the lenses of political ecology and ecocriticism. The idea of
the feral gestures towards forms of non-human life that have spurned human
control or expectations: ‘bad’ forms of wilderness that are out of place and
upset conventional thinking about the desirable or proper arrangement of
nature. From biosecurity to so-called invasive species, ‘dead zones’ to
re-wilding, urban pests to unwanted populations, the idea of the feral calls on
us to interrogate our assumptions about how, what, where and why nature ought
to be, how we draw those lines and distinctions and how they speak to wider
structures of power, political economy and privilege.

Featuring keynote presentations from

·         Fred Pearce (author of The New Wild and Fallout),

·         Professor Mark Davis (Macalester College, author of Invasion Biology)

·         And, Dr Arian Wallach (University of Technology Sydney, Centre for
Compassionate, The Dingo for Biodiversity Project)
As well as a range of online ‘panels’ on topics such as conservation,
biopolitics, indigeneity, agriculture and art and other areas of feral concern.

As the conference is entirely online, anyone is able to join in the discussions
to help discuss and develop our presenters’ contributions.

Hosted by the Massey University Political Ecology Research Centre (Aotearoa New
Zealand) in conjunction with the Wageningen University Centre for Space, Place
and Society (Netherlands).

Please see http://perc.ac.nz/wordpress/feral/ for more details.

--------------------------------
Prof. Dr. Bram Büscher

Professor and chair, sociology of development and change, Wageningen University
Visiting Professor, Department of Geography, Environmental Management and
Energy Studies - University of Johannesburg
Research Associate, Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology,
Stellenbosch University

De Leeuwenborch, Hollandseweg 1, 6707 KN Wageningen, Netherlands.
T: +31317482015 E: bram.busc...@wur.nl<mailto:bram.busc...@wur.nl>.
I: http://brambuscher.com<http://brambuscher.com/> /
http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Expertise-Services/Chair-groups/Social-Sciences/sdc.htm

Senior editor Conservation & Society: please consider submitting a paper! See:
http://www.conservationandsociety.org/
For recent publications, see: https://brambuscher.com/publications/

[WageningenUR logo]