Dear Aseem,

Here's an example, in the email below, of what I was referring to. There's
something about this topic -- trying to limit academic flying -- that brings
out the worst in some environmental scholars. It makes them angry (or appear to
be). It's like talking to committed climate deniers: they are deeply offended
when their views are critiqued in any way, and they conjure up justifications
for maintaining the status quo. Alas, the status quo is exactly what is
creating a global environmental catastrophe. What we need is both a drastic
reduction in nonessential flying and lots of (real) carbon offsets. Right now,
despite all that we know about the dangers of climate change, airline travel is
exploding and greenhouse gas emissions are still increasing globally.

The scholar who wrote the message below believes that I'm "full of crap" when I
suggest that we ought to stop encouraging air travel to academic conferences.
That might be true, but if so it might also be true that the universities and
student groups you told us about are similarly "full of crap," not to mention
the hundreds of geographers you mention and all the unmentioned individuals and
groups who realize that unnecessary flying ought to be curtailed. But I don't
think that the initiatives you point to are "crap" at all. They are instead
very positive signs. It's especially gratifying that many young people are
committing themselves not to fly. Not for the first time, the young have
something to teach their elders.

I think that we need to get some perspective. It's not as if good scholarly
collaboration began with the jet age. Throughout history, great collaboration
occurred by way of slow communications from afar. Nowadays it is possible for
scholars to collaborate with many times the intensity of only a few decades
ago, all without leaving their campuses. We can instantly collaborate with
hundreds or thousands of scholars via the internet. To be sure, video
conferencing is not the same as chatting intimately with other scholars at a
conference hotel bar, but compared to collaboration not long ago it's
astonishingly interactive.

What should we as individual scholars be doing, right now? I think we ought to
be asking ourselves, in very honest and probing ways, whether our travel (the
sorts that burn fossil fuels) is truly worth the costs for the environment and
future persons. I wish that all of us could at least admit to ourselves that we
may be doing something bad when we fly. (This is one sad consequence of all the
great climate science that has been done over the last few decades: we can no
longer live in denial that our lifestyles have far-reaching consequences.)
Let's not forget that our climate-changing pollution is contributing to future
suffering and death. Each flight contributes "only" a little bit to that
suffering and death, but a little bit of suffering and death is arguably worth
avoiding -- unless, perhaps, it is truly necessary to achieve a larger good.
Alas, everyone who flies believes that what they are doing is justified.

Surely, if environmental scholars won't curb their air travel, neither will
most other people. The climate deniers love to see us flying around to talk
about climate change. Their fantasies are invigorated by just this sort of
hypocrisy.

All the best,

Paul

PAUL G. HARRIS