Dear all,

As many of you know, I edit Energy Research & Social
Science<https://www.journals.elsevier.com/energy-research-and-social-science/>
along with an awesome team of Kirsten Jenkins the managing editor, six
associate editors and an even larger, and equally wonderful, community of
authors and reviewers.  Although we publish original research articles and
perspectives, our two most popular types, we also publish review articles.

These, however, for whatever reason are not submitted with equal consistency or
persistency as the other article types.  Here is how we describe the three:

*                     Original research articles (generally between 6,000 and
10,000 words, including references): Research articles generally do something
new or novel, whether it's to fill a research gap, address a puzzle, propose a
new theory, tighten a concept, or draw from new data such as interviews or
field research.

*                     Perspectives (generally 2,000 to 5,000 words): Unlike
full-length research articles, Perspectives are shorter, opinion-like pieces on
a recent topic of interest. They are intended to present the results of small
pilot studies, introduce or critique new concepts (to the field of energy
studies), commemorate an event or breakthrough, or mark something significant
in current affairs.

*                     Review essays (8,000 to 12,000 words): Review articles
generally do not produce new research. Instead, they scour existing
peer-reviewed or even popular literature, have many references, and try to
tease out major themes for those unfamiliar with a particular technology,
topic, or field.

In that vein, if you have a good review article you were thinking of-including
a critical review, interdisciplinary review, systematic review, meta-analysis,
theoretical review, or even just a well-done narrative review-please do
consider sending it to us. As long as it's on the topic of energy and
society-broadly interpreted to also include mobility, climate, buildings,
electricity, and even water and agriculture in some contexts-we would love to
consider it.

Sincerely,

Benjamin K. Sovacool
Editor-in-Chief