For colleagues prepping to run classes using Zoom:

LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE: If you follow these instructions and anyone gets
hurt, its not my fault!
BUT, if you see improvements, please send them to me.

I and Hayley Stevenson spent some time yesterday getting up to speed using Zoom
for a lecture (NOT within Canvas, just freestanding). Learned a lot. So, to
help others …  (I am sure there are great tutorials out there but I only “learn
by doing”). [I have heard, but can’t confirm, that Zoom is more stable with
particularly large classes while other programs will work fine with smaller ]

MOST IMPORTANT TAKEAWAY: You should spend at least an hour with a colleague
practicing. Zoom is NOT that complicated and works fine BUT default settings
are suboptimal for lectures and you need to get familiar with it. Probably will
take about 1-2 hours to get the basics down well enough to stumble through your
first lecture. People are ill-advised to think that they can fire up Zoom 5
minutes before their first class and expect it to go well.

You need to do SETUP first and then try your first “Meeting” (i.e.,
lecture/class session).
So, SETUP things to do:

a)       Open Zoom

b)      Select preferred ONLINE-selectable settings (you need to log in –
probably using your university account)! Option defaults not set for courses,
so choose wisely: https://zoom.us/profile/setting  (e.g., I selected to start
meetings with me (host) with video and all participants muted in my 210-person
class, but I will change that for my 4-person seminar)

c)       Second, select LOCAL-selectable settings to your desired options (from
first screen when you open desktop Zoom app, click your profile icon in the
upper-right corner and select Settings).
[cid:image001.jpg@01D5FB97.E1D65050]

Take time to position your webcam
Make sure to present yourself as you would like.  Some considerations:

·         Webcams have a habit of looking up your nostrils. Don’t let them.

·         Consider neutral clothing and neutral background to keep the focus on
your ideas, not your clothes.

·         Webcams can make it appear you are not “looking at the camera” – to
fix this, make the main screen you will be looking at into a small window (not
full screen) and move it till it is near wherever your webcam is – then when
you look at that part of the screen, it will appear to your students that you
are looking at them.

·         Take time to position yourself relative to your webcam and check
results carefully at maximum size – ensure your students see what you want them
to see and nothing you don’t want them to see.

Now, Starting A Lecture (assuming PC – Mac people, change as appropriate)

a)       Keyboard shortcuts are crucial because its too hard to explain by menu
choices and clicks):
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205683899-Hot-Keys-and-Keyboard-Shortcuts-for-Zoom
  (too hard to explain which things to click!!)  Main ones that seem useful to
me:

·         Alt+H: Display/hide In-Meeting Chat panel  (⌘+Shift+H)

·         Alt+U:Display/hide Participants panel (⌘+U)

·         Alt+V: Start/Stop Video (⌘+Shift+V)

·         Alt+Y: Raise/lower hand (Option+Y)

·         Alt+A: Mute/unmute audio (⌘+Shift+A)

·         Alt+M: Mute/unmute audio for everyone except host Note: For the
meeting host only (⌘+Control+U)

·         Alt+S: Launch share screen window and stop screen share Note: Will
only work when meeting control toolbar has focus (⌘+Shift+S)

·         Alt+Shift+S: Start/stop new screen share Note: Will only work when
meeting control toolbar has focus

·         Alt+T: Pause or resume screen share Note: Will only work when meeting
control toolbar has focus (⌘+Shift+T)

·         Alt+F: Enter or exit full screen (⌘+Shift+F)

b)      Send out Meeting invites to all students

·         Do Alt+H and Alt+U (or Mac equivalents - ⌘+U: and ⌘+Shift+H) to open
Chat and Participants panels, without which you won’t see students Raise their
Hand (Alt+Y) (Mac = Option+Y) to pose a question!

·         Close all apps you won’t be using during class (unless you want
students to read your email).

·         Alt+S (Mac = ⌘+Shift+S): Launch share screen window and select Screen
or other option (I find the full Screen best).

·         Start up Powerpoint or whatever you are going to use.

·         Students will see a small picture of you lecturing in the upper right
corner of their screen and the Powerpoint or whatever filling the rest of their
screen.  From what I can make out, you canNOT make the little screen bigger or
move it where you want on the screen. But it works adequately.

·         Make sure you are not on mute (Alt+A) (Mac = ⌘+Shift+A)

c)       KEY THING: test this with 2 other colleagues to make sure you
understand how it works.

d)      Be patient and compassionate with yourselves and your students. This is
going to be frustrating (perhaps very) for all concerned. (Just heard Canvas
took over an hour to send an email to a colleague’s students for their final
exam). So, cut students slack and hope they do the same for you.

Best,
Ron and Hayley

Ronald Mitchell, Professor
Department of Political Science and Program in Environmental Studies
University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-1284
rmitc...@uoregon.edu<mailto:rmitc...@uoregon.edu>
https://rmitchel.uoregon.edu/
IEA Database Director: https://iea.uoregon.edu/
Hayley
Stevenson<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/utdt.academia.edu/HayleyStevenson__;!!C5qS4YX3!QwvLm7O6mNgaAQUp3jUSlN9rzTzFxR2qs4Z9zhc9xu-cvH14V99xmmzmWiDBv3UEZQ$>
Profesora Investigadora Asociada / Associate Professor
Departamento de Ciencia Política y Estudios Internacionales
Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
Editor, Political
Studies<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/us.sagepub.com/en-us/nam/political-studies/journal202479__;!!C5qS4YX3!QwvLm7O6mNgaAQUp3jUSlN9rzTzFxR2qs4Z9zhc9xu-cvH14V99xmmzmWiDClvfWGA$>
Latest book: Global Environmental
Politics<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/politics-international-relations/international-relations-and-international-organisations/global-environmental-politics-problems-policy-and-practice?localeText=United*Kingdom&locale=en_GB&query=&remember_me=on*eQswpXPkPxdcAllL.97__;KyM!!C5qS4YX3!QwvLm7O6mNgaAQUp3jUSlN9rzTzFxR2qs4Z9zhc9xu-cvH14V99xmmzmWiDanvWyuA$>