Dear GEP-eders,

as previously announced on this list, the Wuppertal Institute and the
German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik
(DIE) are planning to host an expert workshop under the theme "It's the
End of the COP as We Know It,“ originally planned for 26-27 May 2020.

Given the current CoViD-19 pandemic, the event may not go ahead as
planned. Our decision will depend in part on whether the UNFCCC Subsidiary
Bodies will convene as planned or not in Bonn in the first weeks of June;
we are also considering to convert the workshop into a webinar series as a
potential fallback option for the originally planned physical workshop. In
any case, we remain determined to address the important questions of our
Call for Proposals and will update you on the definite date and format of
the event in early April.

Meanwhile, we have extended the deadline to submit your proposals to 3
April 2020: The full call for submissions can be found at:
https://wupperinst.org/fa/redaktion/downloads/news/End_of_COP_Call_for_Proposals_260520.pdf

General reminder & background:
The purpose of this expert workshop is to discuss how the nature of the
annual meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP) to the UNFCCC
(United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) may be (re)shaped
to make the best use of what has become a global focusing event for
climate action. With the adoption of the Paris Agreement in 2015 and
subsequently the completion of the corresponding rulebook at COP24 in
Katowice, the UNFCCC has mostly completed the regime building process. For
more than a decade the negotiation of first the Copenhagen Accord and
subsequently the Paris Agreement dominated the annual UN climate
conferences. While some issues will require ongoing negotiations, the
imminent conclusion of the regime building pro-cess represents a critical
juncture for multilateral climate governance. Specifically, it opens a new
chapter for the UNFCCC and the organisation of its annual COP as the focus
shifts from negotiation to implementation. Indeed, the negotiating
capacity that is now being freed up should be refocused to faciliating
implementation, monitoring progress and, crucially, raising ambition.

Thank you, take care and best wishes,

Lukas Hermwille
Wuppertal Institute

&