Dear colleagues,

We hope that you are all in good health and doing well under the circumstances.

In light of the cancellation of ISA and an official ceremony during the
reception that was scheduled for today, we wished to send a message to members
of the Environmental Studies Section (ESS) and the larger GEP-ed community to
announce and congratulate our award winners!

The winner of this year’s Harold and Margaret Sprout Award is Professor Jessica
Steinberg (Indiana University) for Communities, Mines and States: The Local
Politics of Natural Resource Extraction
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/mines-communities-and-states/6906F981847B43E83E2CCE272605668F>.
 Published by Cambridge University Press, Steinberg’s path-breaking book
develops a novel theory and sophisticated data to explore dynamics of public
goods provision, protest and government repression surrounding mines in Africa.
It marks a significant advance in our understanding of the politics of natural
resource extraction that should be of enduring interest to scholars of
environmental politics.

This year we also have a runner-up for the Sprout Award: Professor Cristina
Balboa (Baruch College, CUNY) for her book The Paradox of Scale: How NGOs
Build, Maintain, and Lose Authority in Environmental Governance
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/paradox-scale>. Published by MIT Press,
Balboa’s remarkable book is based on extensive fieldwork and sheds new light on
the drivers of NGO effectiveness. It explains why what works at one scale can
be problematic at another, and sets a promising new agenda for work in this
field.

Congratulations to you both, Jessica and Cristina! Of course, we are not able
to properly celebrate these accomplishments at this time. However, they will
all be officially recognized again during the ESS reception at the next ISA
meeting.

Until then, stay healthy everyone!

Your Sprout Award committee members,

Thomas Hickmann, Elizabeth Nyman, Kim Marion Suiseeya, Charles Roger

  <http://www.ibei.org/>
Charles Roger
Assistant Professor
+34 935 423 028

Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals
Campus de la Ciutadella (UPF)
Ramon Trias Fargas 25-27. 08005 Barcelona (Spain)
www.ibei.org <http://www.ibei.org/>