Dear GEP Colleagues,

I plan to submit a panel proposal on democracy and the environment for ISA
2021.  If you are interested in delivering a paper or serving as a
discussant, kindly send me a brief description of what you have in mind by
Monday at 9am PST.

I will write a panel synopsis once I get a clearer sense of the range of
topics from potential panelists.  My own contribution will focus on women's
participation in local sustainable transportation decisions, situating this
in the context of multi-level climate governance.

(Spoiler alert: It turns out that not only do women bike less than men in
most countries, citing safety concerns; my colleagues and I have found that
in the LA suburbs, women are also less likely to voice these concerns
through local politics.  This is contrary to the well-documented
disappearance of a gender gap in citizen participation in national-level US
politics.)

Others may wish to examine topics such as democratic innovations or
deficits in international environmental institutions; questions of interest
aggregation across levels of governance; the evolution of green parties;
challenges of institution-building for the environment amid democratic
transitions; community participation in REDD+ initiatives; theoretical
explorations of the relation between democracy and consumption; or other
themes.

With best wishes,

Paul

--
Paul F. Steinberg
Chair, Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts