Dear sustainability transitions and social science colleagues,

Inspired greatly by the work of Jonathan Köhler et
al<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2210422418303332?via%3Dihub>.
 and the STRN research community, David J. Hess and I have attempted to
undertake a similar project looking at the intersections of science and
technology studies (STS) and energy and climate transitions.  Our first study
utilized a systematized review to take stock of the field and summarize what it
has to offer; our second review involved a larger team of interdisciplinary
science and technology studies colleagues (many of them STRN members) to
propose future research agendas:

  *   Sociotechnical matters: Reviewing and integrating science and technology
studies with energy social
science<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629620300396>
  *   Sociotechnical agendas: Reviewing future directions for energy and
climate
research<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629620301924?via%3Dihub>

(Both articles are gold open access and can be read by all with the links
above).

One of the novel aspects to the Köhler et al. study was that they opened it up
to criticism, commentary, and debate by inviting a series of Comments in the
sister journal EIST. Given we believe the discussion of STS could benefit from
the same sort of exchange, we would like to do the same in the journal ERSS.

I hereby invite the community to submit pitches for Perspectives (short
articles of 2000 to 5000 words) that engage with-in any way-the two studies
above. If interested, please submit a short pitch as a Word Document of 200 to
500 words to b.sovac...@sussex.ac.uk<mailto:b.sovac...@sussex.ac.uk> by end of
the day November 1 2020.  Contributions from early career scholars, scholars in
the Global South, as well as disciplines far beyond STS or the STRN are
especially welcome.  We will shortlist and invite up to *ten* of these pitches
to submit a Perspective to ERSS that will be formally peer reviewed, with a
deadline of January 1 2021. There is no guarantee of eventual acceptance.

Lastly, while Köhler et al. did an outstanding job mapping a research agenda
for STRN, and we have tried to do the same for STS, the approach taken would
certainly have utility in other fields, e.g. geography, political ecology,
political economy, anthropology, environmental sociology, circular economy,
etc.  We would most certainly welcome such reviews (as full length articles) at
ERSS as well.

Have a good week all,

Benjamin