Hi all,

I wanted to pass on a new paper of mine, "New York City as ‘fortress of
solitude’ after Hurricane Sandy: a relational sociology of extreme
weather’s relationship to climate politics
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09644016.2020.1816380?journalCode=fenp20>,"
out in *Environmental Politics *this week. (Apologies for cross-posting.)

Using a case study of New York's climate politics evolution after Hurricane
Sandy, and building on essential work by many members of our section, the
paper critiques some of the more superficial, optimistic takes that if we
just link extreme weather to climate change, it will automatically yield
good climate politics. And it sketches a theoretical framework that
illuminates how actors' climate politics evolve after a disaster. I'd love
to get feedback from anyone interested.

I think the paper may have some relevance during this horrible period of
climate disasters. On the one hand, I've been so thrilled to see so many
activists, scholars, and journalists call our Gov. Newsom's pro-fossil fuel
drilling record in the midst of these fires. On the other hand, there seems
to be a lot of discourse limited to "this is climate change!" The other day
there was a story
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09644016.2020.1816380?journalCode=fenp20>
in the NYT about a "reckoning" with climate change in California that
didn't mention GHG emissions or fossil fuels. I'm not sure where that gets
us. Even if local adaptation is equitable, there can't be climate justice
from a global perspective if affluent parts of the US pursue climate
policies that don't slash emissions.

Pre-print here
<https://aldanacohen.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/dac_fortress-of-solitude_pre-print-1.pdf>
.

all best
Daniel

--
Daniel Aldana Cohen (he, his, him)
Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Pennsylvania