Dear GEP-ED members,

In addition to the two PhD
positions<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/two-phd-positions-in-global-environmental-governance-at-utrecht-university-10-fte>
 advertised last week, I am also hiring a postdoctoral research fellow to join
my research team based at the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development,
Utrecht University in the Netherlands.

The postdoc will become part of the new exciting research project
‘Problem-Shifting between International Environmental Treaty Regimes: Causes,
Consequences, and Solutions’. I will be leading this project for the next five
years (2021-2026) with a 1.5 million euro 'Starting Grant' from the European
Research Council. Here is a project description:

International environmental treaties (e.g., Paris Agreement) are designed to
solve specific environmental problems. Yet their potentially negative impact on
environmental issues other than their own is rarely studied. Until now global
governance theories have assumed that environmental treaties are inherently
‘green’, and hence, any adverse consequences are conveniently set aside as
unintended or inevitable. But is that true? Here we question, do environmental
treaties ever pursue their objectives by merely shifting problems to others? If
so, when and why? Does such buck-passing create any systemic risk beyond those
directly affected? And what might be appropriate responses to ensure our
efforts add up to a net positive impact? Environmental problem-shifting, or
protecting one part of the environment by damaging another, is a major dilemma
arising in global governance. Yet the issue remains under-investigated,
requiring an urgent scientific inquiry. This project will thus examine the
causes and consequences of, and provide solutions to, environmental
problem-shifting between international environmental treaty regimes. By drawing
on our interdisciplinary and multi-method expertise in ‘earth system’ law and
governance, we will (1) identify and explain the conditions under which
problem-shifting occurs; (2) assess and predict the systemic effects of
problem-shifting; and (3) offer solutions for optimizing the currently
fragmented governance system. The project aims to advance the theoretical
debate on the architecture of global governance and its overall effectiveness.
The scientific breakthrough will be enabled through methodologically innovative
combinations of qualitative and quantitative methods, including process
tracing, comparative case studies, network analysis, system dynamics modelling,
and multi-stakeholder workshops. Building on the theoretical and empirical
foundations, we will offer unique insights and valuable advice to markedly
improve global governance decisions.

I will be hiring two postdocs for this project, one after another, each for two
years. The first postdoc I’m hiring now will primarily focus on the first aim
of the project on the causes. This will require a good theoretical knowledge of
international environmental regimes, especially those articulated in hundreds
of multilateral environmental agreements. The research will be conducted using
qualitative research methods, so the candidate does not necessarily need to
possess quantitative research skills required for assessing the systemic
effects of environmental problem-shifting (although data analytical skills are
considered a strong asset).

For more information about the positions and how to apply, please follow this
link:
https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/postdoc-position-in-global-environmental-governance-at-utrecht-university-10-fte.

The closing date is 13 June.

Please share this information widely with your colleagues and networks. Any
enquiries or recommendations are welcome at r....@uu.nl<mailto:r....@uu.nl>.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best wishes,
Rak

RAKHYUN E. KIM BSc MSc MEnvLaw PhD
Assistant Professor of Global Environmental Governance | Copernicus Institute
of Sustainable Development | Utrecht University | Room 7.22, Vening Meinesz A,
Princetonlaan 8a, 3584 CB, Utrecht, The Netherlands |
r....@uu.nl<mailto:r....@uu.nl> |
www.uu.nl/staff/RKim<http://www.uu.nl/staff/RKim>

Principal Investigator | PROBLEMSHIFTING: Problem-Shifting between
International Environmental Treaty
Regimes<https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/949252> | European Research Council
StG Project