Dear Gep-ed colleagues,

I just added my name to this open letter from scientists, academics and
researchers calling for a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation
Treaty<http://www.fossilfueltreaty.org/open-letter> and I wanted to encourage
you to join me.

The fossil fuel system and its impacts are global and require a global
solution. That’s why I have added my name to this call on governments to
urgently commence negotiations to develop, adopt and implement a Fossil Fuel
Non-Proliferation Treaty laying out a binding global plan to:

  *   End new expansion of fossil fuel production in line with the best
available science as outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC) and the United Nations Environment Programme;
  *   Phase out existing production of fossil fuels in a manner that is fair
and equitable, taking into account the respective dependency of countries on
fossil fuels, and their capacity to transition;
  *   Invest in a transformational plan to ensure 100% access to renewable
energy globally, support fossil fuel-dependent economies to diversify away from
fossil fuels, and enable people and communities across the globe to flourish
through a global just transition.

We can play an important role in building support and momentum for this bold
proposal commensurate with the scale of the crisis the world is facing.

I hope you will join me in adding your name to the open letter. You can read
the text of the letter and sign on at
www.fossilfueltreaty.org/open-letter<http://www.fossilfueltreaty.org/open-letter>

With best wishes,

Peter