Call for Abstracts

Workshop

“Carbon Pricing Policy Making Through a Sectoral Lens”

7 & 8 March 2022

In the 1990s, governments started pricing carbon – initially by adopting carbon
taxes – in order to disincentivise the use of carbon-intensive products and
processes. In the 2000s, a new type of carbon pricing policy started to
diffuse: greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions trading (ETS). Various carbon pricing
policy designs in the form of a carbon tax, a GHG ETS or a combination of both
have been adopted by diverse jurisdictions at the subnational, national and
supranational level. Researchers have started investigating why and how those
policies were adopted in some jurisdictions and sectors but not in others (for
example Biedenkopf et al. 2017; Wettestad & Gulbrandsen 2018). Yet, a
comparative analysis of agenda-setting, policy formulation and policy adoption
in a broad range of jurisdictions with an explicit focus on sectoral
differences and dynamics is still missing.

Carbon pricing policies address and are applied in different sectors. For
example, the national Chinese ETS initially focuses on the electricity sector
only, while the California ETS covers a wide range of sectors. Whereas some
studies assess carbon pricing policies’ effectiveness in specific sectors,
research on the dynamics and factors that shape their agenda-setting, policy
formulation and policy adoption from a sectoral perspective is scarce, if not
absent. In our workshop, we aim to take a sector-specific approach to
understanding carbon pricing policy-making. Individual sectors require diverse
price levels to encourage decarbonisation. They are characterised by different
interest and stakeholder constellations. Jurisdictions’ economies depend to
varying degrees on different sectors; and the impact on low-income households
varies depending on the sector in which prices of carbon-intensive products and
processes rise. These and other factors shape agenda-setting, policy
formulation and policy adoption in multiple ways. In the workshop, we aim to
focus on those dynamics in a comparative manner.

We will organise a workshop that specifically focuses on carbon pricing
agenda-setting, policy formulation and policy adoption in diverse jurisdictions
and sectors, and invite submissions of abstracts specifically on:

  *   Analysing carbon-pricing agenda-setting, policy formulation and policy
adoption in single case studies or comparative studies
  *   Investigating specific sectoral dynamics of carbon-pricing
agenda-setting, policy formulation and policy adoption
  *   Exploring the role of sector-specific impacts on (in)justices and the
respective influence on carbon-pricing agenda-setting, policy formulation and
policy adoption

We especially encourage abstract submissions focusing on under researched
geographical regions on this topic and from various disciplinary angles.

Please send an abstract of max. 500 words to
katja.biedenk...@kuleuven.be<mailto:katja.biedenk...@kuleuven.be> by 30
November 2021.

We will notify all submitters of the result of the selection by 15 December
2021.

The workshop will be held in a hybrid format on 7-8 March 2022. Participants
who can travel to Leuven will be invited to participate in person, while we
will also enable virtual participation for those who cannot travel. We have
limited financial support for travel and accommodation expenses.