Dear colleagues,

I am planning to write a panel proposal for the next ISA conference in Montreal
next year on the theme of transnational elites in global environmental
governance (as broadly understood).

I added a tentative panel abstract to Prakash's Google Doc (see his email
below), that I will most likely change according to the paper abstracts I
receive. It's really flexible, so do not hesitate to send me something even if
you're not sure it's relevant.

Here is the abstract for now:

Elites such as celebrities, social entrepreneurs, and billionaires are
increasingly visible in global environmental governance. Most of them have
access to an arena (e.g. social media) in which they can talk about
environmental issues and be heard by millions of individuals. Some bear the
title of UN ambassadors or champions of climate change and have the ability to
reach international decision makers. Others hold political mandates.

In many ways, these individuals are no traditional actors of global
environmental governance. Some even see them as hyper-agents. What does their
agency mean for global environmental governance? How do they influence other
actors and governance structures? Do they supplement or replace the action of
traditional actors of global environmental governance? Why do they partake in
this governance field? Can they foster the transformative change the global
environmental crisis requires?

This panel seeks to answer these questions and others related to them by
bringing together a variety of theoretical, methodological, and empirical
perspectives on transnational elites engaged in global environmental governance.

If you are interested in submitting an abstract to this panel, please send it
to me at marielle.pa...@mail.mcgill.ca by May 23rd. Suggestions of questions to
include to the panel abstract are also welcomed.

Best wishes,

Marielle

Marielle Papin, Ph. D.
Postdoctoral fellow
Department of Geography - McGill University

____