Please share it with potentially interested candidates. Usual disclaimers.
-pk

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Leighton, Mark <leigh...@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 6:03 PM
Subject: Search for new Instructor: Critical Analysis of Environmental
Systems
To: Leighton, Mark <leigh...@fas.harvard.edu>

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to ask your assistance in identifying applicants who would be
qualified and enjoy teaching Critical Analysis of Environmental Systems
(ENVR E-210) at the Harvard Extension School (HES). It is one of the two
courses in the program that students must pass with a B or better, and so
it serves as both a rigorous preparation in graduate-level quantitative
methods and as a gateway course for a diverse range of adult learners. I
developed the course and have much enjoyed teaching it over the last 10
years. Now, I am reducing my teaching load to focus more on my roles as
Associate Director and Senior Research Advisor, as well as my other courses.

I would be grateful if you shared this with your networks. I have attached
the syllabus for the spring 2023 E-210 course so candidates can see the
range of skills we ask students to master, and the general structure of the
current course. We would invite a candidate to propose a rough syllabus as
part of the hiring process and are hoping to hire someone by mid-April 2023.

Our ideal candidate has a Ph.D. in a relevant field (environmental science,
sustainability, conservation, environmental management) and is comfortable
teaching via Zoom to a class of 80-100 students. The instructor for this
course would also hire and manage a team of around 5 or 6 teaching
assistants, who help organize the course, teach sections, and grade student
work. We would be looking for someone who could teach the course in both
Fall and Spring semesters, ensuring consistency across the academic year.
Finally, HES Instructors must have a US residence.

To learn more about our Sustainability Program and the kinds of students we
attract, check out our program website:
https://extension.harvard.edu/academics/programs/sustainability-graduate-program/

To highlight some elements of the course in the attached syllabus:

   - Please note from the course description that E-210 focuses on
   developing a moderate degree of student understanding and practical
   application of various types of critical skills.  While the other
   gateway course in our Sustainability program (ENVR E-101) focuses on
   graduate-level writing and scholarly literature research skills, E-210
   focuses on quantitative modeling and research interpretation and design
   skills.  We expect students can utilize these not only in their further
   coursework and professional lives, but especially as they identify and
   design their capstone or thesis research, conducted at the end of their
   master’s program.
   - As can be seen from the detailed lecture, section and assignment
   schedule on the syllabus, skills I feel are important are:
      - A variety of introductory statistical skills (the textbook now
      assigned could be replaced!), as this course serves as the degree
      requirement for a statistics course
      - Excel spreadsheet modeling, including manipulating data, using
      formulas, and especially, cost-benefit analysis in the form of financial
      and economic/social appraisals, and modeling sustainable production
      - Other forecasting modeling tools available online as freeware
      (e.g., GHG stocks via ClimateInteractive.org)
      - Systems modeling
      - Stakeholder negotiations for sustainability solutions
      - Critically reading and evaluating scientific papers
      - Designing research plans that address significant but specific
      sustainability research questions and hypotheses
   - However, the new instructor has some latitude to substitute in some
   different relevant sustainability skills not covered as lectures or
   assignments in this syllabus.  For instance, GIS is only covered as a
   guest lecture, and there could be a stronger focus on valuations of
   environmental services or on environmental justice, governance and/or
   policy, also some of these are incorporated into assignments.  And of
   course, the examples or case studies that illustrate some of these skills
   in lectures/discussions and assignments can be substituted.
   - The course is unusual in that there are typically two 2-hr zoom
   sessions per week for the 14-15 weeks of each semester.  However,
   typically the instructor only needs to lecture or lead only one of these
   (the numbered “lectures” in the course schedule), whereas the other is led
   by a TA who explains the assignment associated with the lecture.
   - Note that the new instructor may freely use my current lecture slides
   and assignments, modifying these as they wish, gradually transforming the
   course over several semesters.

Applicants should email their CV and cover letter to me (
leigh...@fas.harvard.edu).

Sincerely, and very grateful for your help,

Dr. Mark Leighton

Associate Director & Senior Research Advisor

Sustainability and Global Development Practice Programs

Harvard Extension School

51 Brattle St., Cambridge, MA 02138

leigh...@fas.harvard.edu

 access.