Dear GEP-ed:

Hope your new year has gotten off to a good start in the classroom and
elsewhere. I am writing with an update and a crucial request for ESS
programming at ISA 2023.

We have been quite successful with our various co-sponsorship requests,
which means that the total ESS footprint, including the Co-sponsorships,
includes 51 panels, plus one Distinguished Scholars panel.

On the other hand, this year has also seen a large number of withdrawals
and I am struggling to fill several discussant roles. I'd be grateful if
you could accept the several invitations for chairing or discussant roles
that several of you have received from the ISA conference system. On the
other hand, if you will be at ISA and are able to take on a discussant
role, please let me know via email (pkash...@brandeis.edu). I and the
entire ISA leadership are super grateful for your contributions.

More broadly, we need to think about whether the high rates of withdrawal
from in-person conferences is a systemic post-pandemic issue that should
prompt us to rethink conferencing and programming in the academy. It looks
like other associations, such as the AAG, have addressed these questions in
different ways. This has to be an ongoing conversation in this community.

My best wishes,
Prakash

Prakash Kashwan, Ph.D. (Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=SRC3hyMAAAAJ&hl>; Website
<https://kashwan.net/>)
Associate Professor of Environmental Studies
Affiliated Faculty, Heller School for Social Policy & Management
Brandeis University, Waltham, MA

Editor, Environmental Politics
Vice Chair/Program Chair, Environmental Studies Section, International
Studies Association (ISA)