From: gep-ed@googlegroups.com <gep-ed@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Kate
Neville
Sent: 04 May 2023 01:48
To: gep-ed@googlegroups.com
Cc: Kate Neville <kate.nevi...@utoronto.ca>; Justin Alger
<justin.al...@unimelb.edu.au>
Subject: [gep-ed] Deep sea mining panel at the 2024 ISA in San Francisco -
looking for papers!

Dear colleagues,

The call for papers from the International Studies Association for the 2024
conference (scheduled for San Francisco) is already out, and May is underway -
so here's a proposal-in-the-works for a panel where Justin Alger and I are
looking for possible panelists and papers and discussants and interest.

Are you working on the politics, political economy, or governance of deep sea
mining activities? Please join us!

Panel (provisional) title: Blue carbon, blue justice, and blue extraction: The
politics and contradictions of deep sea mining.

Panel (provisional) description: In the current rush for both renewable energy
expansion and carbon removal options to address climate change, the oceans are
positioned as a crucial place for climate solutions. They offer both a
potential source for the metals and minerals needed for renewable energy
technologies, and a possible sink for captured carbon. At the same time, they
remain a contested region for extraction (e.g., offshore oil and gas and
fisheries) and for conservation (e.g., marine protected areas and
biodiversity). While deep sea mining enthusiasts position the international
seabed as an area for climate-smart mining, those resisting this new extraction
point to the potential damage that could be inflicted on fragile and
understudied deep sea ecosystems, ocean carbon storage, and the less visible
social and livelihood connections that tether the high seas and coastal
communities. This panel examines the latest governance and political economy
dynamics of deep sea mining, with attention to corporate power, emerging
governance regimes, and especially the contradictions of green capitalism and
extractivism.

Please reply to me (kate.nevi...@utoronto.ca<mailto:kate.nevi...@utoronto.ca>)
or Justin (justin.al...@unimelb.edu.au<mailto:justin.al...@unimelb.edu.au>) if
you're interested. And even if you're not planning to attend the ISA next year,
we'd love to know more about other emerging work on deep sea mining and at
these intersections of extraction, climate tech, and carbon.

Last year, Prakash generously organized a Google Doc where we could share ideas
for panels and calls for papers. We'll happily add this to a Google list or
other mechanism to help connect and coordinate efforts to link people and
themes and panels and such -- but for now, here's an email blast.

Thanks and all best,
Kate

-------
Dr. Kate J. Neville
Associate Professor, Political Science and School of the Environment
University of Toronto
kate.nevi...@utoronto.ca<mailto:kate.nevi...@utoronto.ca>

gep-ed+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:gep-ed+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gep-ed/MW4PR13MB60117AF6D8ED716B9D10631BF06C9%40MW4PR13MB6011.namprd13.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gep-ed/MW4PR13MB60117AF6D8ED716B9D10631BF06C9%40MW4PR13MB6011.namprd13.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.