Hi colleagues,

On May 31-June 2nd, the Climate Social Science Network will host "Climate
Obstruction in 2023 <https://conference2023.cssn.org/e/cssnconference2023>,"
a free virtual conference, and we'd love for you to attend all or any of
the sessions. The conference will be a great way to get story ideas, learn
about the forces opposing climate action, and find new sources for stories.

You can learn more about the conference and speakers and *register here
<https://conference2023.cssn.org/e/cssnconference2023>.* Sessions include:

   -
*Obstruction of Loss and Damage Finance in the Negotiations Under the UN
   Climate Regime.  *
   -
*Multilateral Climate Finance, Humanitarian Aid and ODA *
   -
*Opposition to Renewables Siting and Fossil Infrastructure - Lessons &
   Limitations *
   - *Climate Opposition by State-owned Enterprises and Petro-states*

Learn more about CSSN here: cssn.org and reach out through the contact page
if you're interested; and we'll get back to you. The conference includes
several member-only sessions.

Let me know if you have any questions, and hope to see you there!
Timmons

Climate Obstruction In 2023
By Climate Social Science Network
Why This Conference?
The effort to address climate change has been inadequate, in spite of
decades of work and growing certainty on the science, technology, and
policy solutions. A key reason for the lack of progress in developing
local, national and global governance adequate to the problem is the
obstruction of climate action by a sophisticated and well-funded network of
organizations, connected to but going far beyond the fossil fuel industry
and other "vested" interests. The strategies of those obstructing climate
action have evolved significantly, recently including far less denial of
the scientific reality of human-caused climate change, and far more delay
tactics and discourses. The nature, role and strategy of these
organizations is our focus of research in the Climate Social Science
Network.

Host and Motivation
The Climate Social Science Network (CSSN) <https://www.cssn.org/>, a global
network headquartered at Brown University in the USA, was launched in
October of 2020 to create community, collaboration, and communications for
researchers studying actors obstructing action on climate change.

Format
Most of the conference will be open to the public, discussing key issues of
how climate action is being framed in public discourse. Parts of the online
event will be closed working meetings for the working groups of CSSN, and
the full network.

--
J. Timmons Roberts
Ittleson Professor of Environmental Studies and Sociology, Brown University