Dear all,

The book on the project, for which I received the DVPW Teaching Award, was
published "open access" this week: "The Environment in Global Sustainability
Governance" (Bristol University Press), including interviews by students with
the authors (after each chapter),
https://bristoluniversitypress.co.uk/the-environment-in-global-sustainability-governance
 😀

Here you can find videos of the lectures that the authors gave last year at the
FU Berlin on their chapters:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHT9ScVgSX3mnVpPFkPwekHloNVb-WOpu

I am now continuing the idea of having the students conduct interviews by
having them conduct interviews - embedded in podcasts - on the implementation
of the SDGs in Germany. They submit the transcripts with academic references
instead of traditional term papers. More suggestions for didactic preparation
can be found here (in German):
https://www.dvpw.de/blog/stockholm-50-fuenf-jahrzehnte-globaler-umweltpolitik-ein-lehrprojekt-von-lena-partzsch<https://lnkd.in/eGqd4QSY>

The combination of chapter/reader text and video is well suited for teaching.
My aim behind the project was to show the importance of political science for
global environmental crises. The project was originally intended primarily for
students in interdisciplinary programs, but the material is also very suitable
for introducing environmental issues to political science majors. Some of the
chapters - especially Chapter 10 on eco-feminism by Sherilyn MacGregor and
Ursula Mäki - are now also making waves in research, which of course makes me
incredibly happy.

I can’t resist and add the endorsements here that Oran Young and Michele
Betsill formulated for the backside of the paper copy (thanks again!):

“This timely book vigorously tackles the central challenge of the SDGs: how to
resolve the tension between development featuring economic growth and the
limitations of the Earth’s atmospheric, marine and terrestrial systems.” Oran
Young, University of California, Santa Barbara

“This volume reveals the international community’s ongoing struggle to
reconcile environmental, social and economic goals through the UN Sustainable
Development Goals. It is a must-read for anyone thinking about the challenge of
reforming global sustainability governance beyond the SDGs.” Michele Betsill,
University of Copenhagen

Please use the materials and spread the word!

Many thanks to all contributing authors, students and the numerous anonymous
reviewers for their constructive feedback on the chapters and the book (no
funding behind this, all volunteer effort)!

All the best

Lena

Lena Partzsch is Prof. of Comparative Politics with a focus on Environment at
the Freie Univ. Berlin’s Otto Suhr Institut.
lena.partz...@fu-berlin.de<mailto:lena.partz...@fu-berlin.de>

I also have a chapter in the book.

Best, Miranda

Miranda Schreurs
Professor of Environment and Climate Policy
Hochschule für Politik München/School of Social Sciences and Technology
Technical University of Munich
Richard Wagner Str. 1
München 80333, Germany

miranda.schre...@hfp.tum.de<mailto:miranda.schre...@hfp.tum.de>