Colleagues-

If you follow ocean and/or biodiversity governance, you're probably aware
of the new agreement for "Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction" (BBNJ)
which was just finalized last year. Many observers, activists, scholars,
and others have been referring to the BBNJ as the "High Seas Treaty." *Myself
and Fuad Bateh
<https://conferences.wmu.se/londonstockholm50/fuad-bateh/> argue in a new
op-ed at Mongabay
<https://news.mongabay.com/2024/02/high-seas-treaty-name-is-inaccurate-and-should-center-biodiversity-commentary/>
that calling the BBNJ the "High Seas Treaty" is inaccurate, misleading, and
damaging to the interests of the Global South*.

Apologies for the self-promotion, but the community hasn't settled on a
popular and lasting name for this new treaty. We are making a collective
choice, every time we discuss the new agreement. So it's really important
that we think carefully about how we describe the treaty.

Thanks for your consideration,

*Elizabeth Mendenhall, PhD*
Associate Professor; Graduate Program Director
Department of Marine Affairs
University of Rhode Island
elizabeth-mendenhall.com

Check out my recent publications on the BBNJ treaty
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X23002130>, marine
plastic pollution
<http://www.elizabeth-mendenhall.com/uploads/6/3/2/3/63236261/mendenhall_2023_making_the_most_of_what_we_already_have_activating_unclos.pdf>,
and military nuclear transit