one answer to the inevitable paradox which Dale highlights, is to suggest
that we just need to throw the concept of nature out full stop. My reading
of much of the fascinating debate which has gone on round this on the list
would be that this urge we often have to aggregate all sorts of stuff
together - tigers, elephants, mudslides, and of course for many,
everything humans do - together under one concept - nature, is precisely
the soruce of the confusion. these are perhaps simply not phenomena which
can be aggregated in this way with a concept which is always
simultaneously empirical and normative. There's a very entertaining and in
my view persuasive argument for htis in Bruno Latour's Politics of Nature
(he refers to nature early on as 'that blend of Greek politics, French
Cartesianism and American parks') out in English in I think 2004, perhaps
2003, and I think harvard UP.

Mat