Dear Gep-Ed folks:

I write to invite those of you with work that concerns the conservation of biological diversity to consider participating in a meeting of the Society for Conservation Biology (SCB). I am the vice president of SCB's Social Science Working Group, and we are actively seeking to network with social scientists who are either already SCB members or who are not SCB members but whose work concerns biodiversity and its conservation. For those of you interested in attending and participating in a meeting of the SCB, I want to reach out to you in the hopes of widening our network of social scientists who are doing applied work within the realm of biodiversity conservation. SCB is an 8,000-member international professional organization. The Social Science Working Group of SCB has more than 550 members (and counting), and has been given a prominent role within the society to promote the integration of the social sciences into the society's goals and workings (much as we believe in the necessity of integrating the social with natural sciences toward the goal of successful conservation).

The meeting details are as follows:

Society for Conservation Biology 20th Annual Meeting - "Conservation Without Borders"

Location: San Jose, California, USA

Dates: June 24-28, 2006

Website: http://www.conbio.org/2006/

There are two relevant deadlines for folks interested in participating formally. The first, for symposia, workshops, and organized discussions, is Oct.15th. The second, for individual papers, is January 10th. More information on the various formats for proposals is available on the web site. I am the contact person at SCB who is working with social scientists interested in participating, so if you are interested, please contact me. While we don't have financial support to offer (yet, except to students), we are providing other means of assistance, such as networking and editorial, to folks interested in participating. If you are interested in learning more about SCB or its Social Science Working Group, even if participating in the meeting is not something you are inclined to do, please contact me.

Cheers,

Rich

--

Richard L. Wallace