Hi Leslie,

Darwin’s Nightmare is a very good documentary about Nile perch and the connections between invasive species and various other “global connections” (underdevelopment, arms trade, HIV-AIDS in Africa). It was nominated for the best documentary Oscar last year, and might have won if it weren’t for the darn penguins J. It runs a little under 2 hours.

In terms of books on globalization of food trade, Deborah Barndt, Tangled Routes: Women, Work, and Globalization on the Tomato Trail (Garamond 2002) is good and pretty readable. I think Mike Davis, Late Victorian Holocausts (Verso 2001) is a chilling historical account with important contemporary implications (even if these aren’t drawn too explicitly), though it is quite long and pretty dense, so you may want to just use selections. I used it in a Global Environmental Issues course that I taught a couple of years ago, and had the students choose one of the three countries that are the major focus of discussion in the book (China, India, Brazil) to write a short essay, which worked pretty well. I also think Upton Sinclair, The Jungle could be a good introduction to the industrialization of food production, perhaps paired with Eric Schlosser, Fast Food Nation?

If you want to have something on the local food movement (as an alternative to food globalization), Suzanne Belliveau, “Resisting Global, Buying Local,” Great Lakes Geographer, 12, 1 (2005) might be a place to start, at least for a list of further references.

Hope this helps. Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Biro

Dept. of Political Science