dear abhijit and others,

while I understand abhijit's desire not to let political economy discussions
(and perhaps polemics) dominate the course, I would argue that in the 21st
century one cannot teach "resources, environment and sustainability" without
significantly considering political economy and political ecology . . .

resources become resources when some human actors see them as useful;
different human actors may see the same biophysical entity as having
different uses; a biophysical entity that is seen as a resource by one group
may be seen as pollution by another group . . . how a particular biophysical
entity becomes authoritatively or effectively defined as a resource is thus
a very political economic and political ecological question . . .

most contemporary discussions of sustainability accept the tripartite basis
of environmentally balanced, economically rewarding, and socially just . . .
the ability to move in those directions is heavily influenced by political
economy and political ecology . . .

the danger in not explicitly including political economy and political
ecology is that consumption becomes a unitized phenomenon: humans consume .
. . but different groups of humans consume in great different amounts and
greatly different ways than other groups of humans, and these differences
are not perfectly correlated with the society of residence . . .

cheers,

craig harris
department of sociology
michigan state university