This sort of thing is an issue for community based conservation and always makes me wonder about the locus of sustainability and the potential disconnect between knowledge/information and action. That is, if we take a systems perspective and recognize the need for feedback in making management corrections, what happens when environmental change that is occurring at the local level has non-local causes about which nothing can even be done at the local level?

Certainly as Kai says, "nearly all communities relying on resources (including our own) are affected by the forces of global change". However, many local/community groups don't have access to information about those forces (which might be remedied with new info tech and global info-networks), nor is affecting those forces within their local management realm of possibility.

Cheers  - Christopher

willett wrote:
Kai,

Good heavens, I did not mean to say anything against community-based management--I'm a believer. I was only saying that for a student whose priority was to save coral reefs (further specification: in the mid-latitudes, where most coral reefs are), any and all other management efforts may be overwhelmed by ocean acidification. Destruction of tropical coral reefs worldwide will extinguish something like (very roughly) 30% of all ocean species. This includes high-latitude diatoms, on which most human fisheries depend.

Another clarification, I should have changed the email header, which was "climate change and community-based management" Although ocean acidification is caused by CO2 in the atmosphere (and to a lesser extent, and more locally, by other combustion products) it has nothing to do with climate change. Thus, most of the so-called geoengineering remedies for climate do nothing to help ocean acidification. All CO2-reduction remedies reduce/resolve both these environmental problems.

More references to this amazingly under-publicized problem:
Kolbert article: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/061120fa_fact3 Short review of the science: http://co2.cms.udel.edu/ (click on "Ocean acidification")

Willett