Hi all,

relevant works that assess these issues that I've been involved in include:

Cashore, B. (1997). Governing Forestry: Environmental Group Influence in British Columbia and the US Pacific Northwest. PhD Thesis, Political Science. Toronto, University of Toronto.

Bernstein, S. and B. Cashore (2000). "Globalization, Four Paths of Internationalization and Domestic Policy Change: The Case of Eco-forestry in British Columbia, Canada." Canadian Journal of Political Science 33(1): 67-99.

I would read the above, for comparative purposes, with:

2007 Benjamin Cashore and Michael Howeltt, “Punctuating Which Equilibrium? Understanding Thermostatic Policy Dynamics In Pacific Northwest Forestry” Forthcoming American Journal of Political Science.

(This above earticle is important for understanding differences within the US, which, aside from Hoberg and Koontz' work, is usually overlooked)

This article looks at firms responses across the countries

Cashore, B. and I. Vertinsky (2000). "Policy Networks and Firm Behaviours: Governance Systems and Firm Responses to External Demands for Sustainable Forest Management." Policy Sciences 33(March): 1-30.

This review article might be of interest:
Cashore, B. (2000). "Review Essay: Lessons from Comparative and Case-Study Approaches to Canadian Environmentalism." Canadian Public Administration 43(3): 360-71.

Likewise there are chapters on the US and British Columbia in:

2004 Benjamin Cashore, Graeme Auld and Deanna Newsom, Governing Through Markets: Forest Certification and the Emergence of Non-State Authority Yale University Press, London and New Haven. Total pp. 327

likewise this article also compares certification standards in Canada and the US

McDermott, C., E. Noah, and Cashore . "Differences the "Matter"? Identifying Analytical Challenges in the Comparison of Forest Certification Standards."

It is based on a larger global comparison project that is currently being revised and updated.

Best

Ben