I've been asked to forward this request to the list. If you can help, please
respond directly to Renato at his e-mail address below.

Thanks.

Pam

I'm a law postgraduate student recently turned into a biologist. I'm studying
ecotoxicology and the precautionary principle.

What I mean to do with my dissertation (at the Law School of the Federal
University of Santa Catarina - UFSC - Brazil) is to study what criteria (if
there are any) should be followed by the Dispute Settlement Body of the WTO to
distinguish a precautionary measure from a arbitrary and illegal trade barrier.
So I'm studying sovereignty, "sound science", precautionary principle,
ecotoxicology, and, of course, International law, always pursuing a way to
understand how is it possible (if it is) for an international organization (the
WTO) to decide that a precautionary measure adopted by a nation or a region is
actually NOT precautionary, but arbitrary.

So I would like to talk with anyone working in that field (international trade
and environment) to know what publications should a read (I'm currently reading
"Precautionary politics", by Kerry Whiteside), and also to exchange some ideas.

Also, if you know a professor from Columbia or NYU researching either
international trade and environment, either law and economics, I would like a
contact. First to get some advice concerning my dissertation. Second, I´m
interested in applying to Columbia or NYU for a JSD (that in 2009). So I would
like to know what kind of study could I possibly develop at the University (in
Brazil, at least, a postgraduate student must converge to some of the research
projects of the professors, ask to be oriented in his dissertation or thesis
and previously convince the professor that he is worth the effort. And I'm
supposing the situation will be similar in NY, except with much more
competition).

That's it. Thank you.

Renato Lisboa Altemani ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Pamela S. Chasek, Ph.D.
Editor, Earth Negotiations Bulletin
IISD Reporting Services

300 East 56th Street #11A New York, NY 10022 USA
Tel: +1 212-888-2737- Fax: +1 646 219 0955
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)
www.iisd.org
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\pam\Local%20Settings\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\www.iisd.org>

IISD Reporting Services - Earth Negotiations Bulletin
www.iisd.ca
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\pam\Local%20Settings\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\www.iisd.ca>

Subscribe for free to our publications
http://www.iisd.ca/email/subscribe.htm