Dear Gep-eders,

I don't think Alex Farrell was on this list. But many of you are probably familiar with his work, and many knew him and worked with him over the years. He was an absolute rising star in the alternative energy world, and becoming very influential - here in California, nationally in the US, and also internationally - in understanding the potential and impacts of biofuels and other energy sources. He was much in demand as an expert on climate change, who could combine academic rigor and accessibility in his analysis and presentations. As a newly-minted Associate Professor in UC Berkeley's Energy and Resources Group, he was an exemplary student advisor and colleague. Prior to his time at UC Berkeley, he held postitions at Carnegie Mellon University, and with the Global Environmental Assessment Project at the Kennedy School of Government.

For some reason or reasons we'll never know, Alex took his own life on April 13, at home in San Francisco.

We'll miss him greatly. We, and our planet, badly need more people like him. And for many of us, he was a friend as well as a colleague.

A memorial page has been set up, at http:// inmemoriamalex.blogspot.com/ - please feel free to pass the URL forward.

all best,

Kate

Kate O'Neill
Associate Professor
Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
Division of Society and Environment
UC Berkeley
Mail: 207 Giannini Hall, MC 3114, Berkeley CA 94720
Office: 129 Giannini Hall
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]