Hey All,      As part of the Asian Development Bank project I mentioned before,
I've been asked to write a short case study on the evolution of subsidiarity in
the EU -- in particular, recounting the history of how environmental protection
in the EU evolved from a system with a relatively weak center and strong
affiliated states (some of which had quite low environmental protection
standards and/or practices) to one where a stronger center ensures pretty good
compliance with directives and regulations in Member States.  Was this achieved
primarily through ECJ decisions, conditional funding, threats of other
sanctions, membership requirements, etc.?

This is a long way of asking whether any of you could refer me to good articles
on the development of subsidiarity policies in the environmental field.

thanks,        jim

Jim Salzman
Samuel Fox Mordecai Professor of Law
Nicholas Institute Professor of Environmental Policy
Duke University
P.O. Box 90360
Durham, NC     27708

tel. (919)613.7185