Dear list,

Our esteemed leader of the gep-ed list has told me that my original query
never made it to the group, my apologies.

I am in this midst of a project that has sprung from my urban enviro class, and
it seems to me that this aspect is somewhat underdeveloped in our studies of
gep.  While they vary, it seems that most of these urban thinkers do more than
figure street Plattes, but think about space, personal democratic interaction
in civic sphere, technology, and alienation.

In my own list, I had mostly "dead white guys" (Mumford, Giddes, Bookchin, etc)
and Jane Jacobs. I was hoping for any suggestions of who the list might think
of as "great" urban thinkers, and particularly thinkers/writers from the global
South.  Thus far, several of you have now emailed me and I will re-post another
summary if there are more.

Thank you for your interest and help!

Peter

Peter J. Jacques, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science
University of Central Florida
P.O. Box 161356
4000 Central Florida Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32816-1356

Phone: (407) 823-2608
Fax: (407) 823-0051
http://ucf.academia.edu/PeterJacques

>>> "Wallace, Richard" <rwall...@ursinus.edu> 12/23/2008 12:57 PM >>>
Peter,

I also did not see the original post. These are from my wife Shannon,
thanks to her urban planning experience. Not political scientists, but
indeed urban thinkers.

Irving Altman

Timothy Beatley

William Cronin

Andres Duany & Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk (collaborative work)

Joel Garreau

Dolores Hayden

Setha Low

Kevin Lynch

John Reps

Camillo Sitte

William Whyte

Happy holidays everyone!

Cheers,

Rich

--

Richard L. Wallace, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Chair

Environmental Studies Program

Ursinus College

P.O. Box 1000

Collegeville, PA 19426

(610) 409-3730

(610) 409-3660 fax

rwall...@ursinus.edu

It is not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: what are
we busy about?

-       Henry David Thoreau