From: Jim Salzman <salz...@law.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: a blast from the past
To: gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 5:32 PM

Prior to teaching, I was the European Environmental Manager for SC Johnson Wax.
According to company lore, SC Johnson was the first company to stop using CFCs
in its aerosol products (Pledge, Glade, etc.) back in 1975.  There was serious
debate within the company whether or not to publicize this, since consumers
might assume a loss in efficacy.  They did decide to do so, though, well before
the US banned CFCs in 1978 or 1979 (closely followed by Sweden).  I suspect one
reason they were the leaders on this issue is the fact that they are privately
owned.

regards,       -js

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
Jim Salzman
Samuel Fox Mordecai Professor of Law
Nicholas Institute Professor of Environmental Policy
Duke University
P.O. Box 90360
Durham, NC     27708

tel. (919)613.7185
fax (919)613.7231
<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

>>> Michael Maniates <mmani...@allegheny.edu> 4/21/2009 11:41 AM

Dear Charlie (and others),

Some spray cans sold in the United States continue to sport this
claim.  I have one here in my office (shaving cream) that I picked up
a few weeks ago for a classroom demonstration (of greenwashing, not
shaving).  This practice, then, lives on.

Mike Maniates

At 11:04 AM 4/21/2009, Charles Chester wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Attached is a photo of a spray can with the claim across the front:
>"Contains No Ozone-damaging CFC's." A biology professor here
at
>Brandeis found the can in his mother's house, and passed the photo
>on to me asking what time period such labels existed (its his own
>photo, which he said anyone can use). I couldn't say more than
"late
>'70s," but now I'm thinking that such claims may have lasted
up to
>the late 1980s? Even later? Thanks for any perspectives on this (and
>please email me, and I'll compile for the list).
>
>-Charlie
>____________________
>Charles C. Chester, Ph.D.
>9 Lowell Street, Cambridge, MA  02138  USA
>wk 617.304.9373   fx 617.245.4613
><http://www.conservationclimatechangeclearinghouse.net>The
>Conservation & Climate Change Clearinghouse (new URL)
><http://www.brandeis.edu/departments/environmental>Brandeis -
><http://www.y2y.net>Y2Y - <http://www.rootcapital.org/>Root
Capital
><http://www.islandpress.org/bookstore/details.php?prod_id=673>Conservation