From: DG Webster <dgweb...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: FW: Skepticism and all that
To: williamcgbu...@comcast.net
Cc: gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu

Earth Justice did some interesting survey work that reveals a relationship
between a variation of the "high falutin'" ideas that Ronnie put forward and
the "outside the bubble" opinions observed by Wil. It seems that a person's
perspectives regarding the role of the individual in society have a lot to
do with the type of information they'll accept regarding climate change. One
facet of their results showed that people who are more individualistic
(Ronnie's liberal individualists) tend to be wary of environmental science
and, perhaps more importantly, the implications for public policy. They are
therefore much more likely to accept what the skeptics have to say than the
consensus science (Wil's arguments from cab drivers). It's these types of
"frames" that I eluded to in my earlier note and, being a fairly lonely
liberal in a large and pretty conservative family, I can attest to the
linkage from first hand, non-ivory tower expirience.

Since their results are much more nuanced than the short explanation above,
I've attached a summary by Earthjustice, which may be slanted but is
certainly interesting. I use it in my green business class to get students
thinking about the many ways in which people view (or frame) environmental
issues like climate change. Plus they've decided to make the data publically
available upon request, which some might find to be useful. Mike, I hope
this is an OK use of the list!

livwell,
dgwebster

--