On species recognition---

Perhaps of interest along these lines: I taught at Cal State Sacramento, the
campus of which is located along the American River. The American River Parkway
includes all the land between the levees for an approximately forty mile run
from Folsom Dam to the confluence with the Sacramento River. Most of this is
left relatively undisturbed by human activity, though there are some formal
parks and a metropolitan area of around 2 million beyond the levees on either
side. I spend a great deal of time walking, canoeing and swimming in the
Parkway so know the area pretty well.

As an experiment in various sections of classes I taught called Contemporary
Environmental Issues and others called Environmental Ethics, I gave a species
list to students. This list consisted of all the species I could easily think
of off the top of my head that I had observed along the American River. This
consisted of about 150 species of flora and fauna ranging from cottonwood and
oak trees to beavers and otters. They were mostly very easily observed, with
some exceptions such as the elusive otters, such that students resident in
Sacramento for any period would have been expected to have observed most of
them hundreds if not many thousands of times. Their task was to check off every
species that they thought could be found in the American River Parkway. I used
the ordinary common language names universally used in the region, not the
Linnean names.

The best answer was the one that checked all of the species. I had expected an
average of something, say, between fifty and a hundred. Instead, the average
number checked was eleven. In a few classes one or two students checked all or
something close to it, but as the average of eleven attests, most of the
students went well below fifty. Some checked two or three. A few thought that
it was a trick and answered "none." On discussion, some of those who had
checked none said that they had assumed that the purpose of the exercise was to
show how people had devastated nature and they didn't recognize many of the
species in any case.

Perhaps even more discouraging was that the students in the Environmental
Ethics class were almost all Environmental Studies majors, while those in the
Contemporary Env. Issues class came from diverse backgrounds, but that made
very little difference in the responses. That is, Environmental Studies
students did only slighly better than a more diversified selection of students.
Nor, on average, did biology students do notably better.

The good part about the exercise was that it proved a very useful starting
point for discussion, leading in a variety of directions. A very common
response was that "we don't have time for that," although it was the rare
student who would not then confess to spending a lot of time watching sports,
playing video games, drinking beer....Many contested some species, arguing that
it was simply not possible that there were such things as beavers and deer in
the midst of a city--these, they thought were rare and only to be found in "the
wild" or that place called "nature." These folks were sometimes devotees of
such television shows as "Nature" where they trusted the real species could be
observed. But most ended up reflecting that they simply didn't pay much
attention when they were outdoors, were embarrassed to ask the names of
species, weren't really very interested.

At least some did seem to conclude that it might be worth spending more time
and more attentive time on the Parkway and outdoors in general.

So, for what it is worth. I gave up doing this after a time as it tended to
make me feel rather demoralized.

Angus

Angus Wright
Professor Emeritus of Environmental Studies
California State University, Sacramento