Dear all,

A month or so ago, I asked GEP-ED for suggestions on crucial topics to be
covered in a GEP course. I want to thank Sikina Jinnah, Shannon K. Orr, Wil
Burns, Matt Auer, Kateryna M. Wowk, Lorraine Elliott, Don Munton, Ron Mitchell,
Beth Chalecki, Jonathan Rosenberg and Pia M. Kohler for answering my questions.

The topic of environment and security resonated throughout the recommendations.
Biodiversity, GMO issues were also suggested. Some topics I had never thought
about (diamonds) surfaced. Others I had already thought were relevant and I was
glad to have them mentioned: whaling, population and environmental migration,
e-waste, impacts of climate change on oceans.

I am really grateful for the methodological suggestions as well. Focusing on
actors, history and institutions really helps me cover a lot more ground.

It was also suggested to me that I should focus on “beyond the global commons”
and overconsumption. Many problems fall within national jurisdictions but have
international consequences.

As someone who has conducted (and continues to undertake) research on
transnational networks of non-state actors, I was delighted to hear that this
was one topic not to be missed. I also read suggestions about topics that are
near and dear to my heart like transnational movement of hazardous waste,
e-waste and cross-border water governance.

Another topic I had not thought about and it is relevant is indigenous
peoples-themed research, particularly within the context of global
environmental treaties.

I am more than happy to email anyone the compiled responses (5 page Word
document), but this one page summarizes what the GEP response was to my
inquiry. Hope this is of some use.

Thanks again everyone,
Raul
Raul Pacheco-Vega, PhD