Dear all,

"If we all believed the same thing, then when we are wrong we will be very
very wrong. When there are many different beliefs, it's more likely that
some will be right, but less likely that we'll all act together based on
that person's position. Thus, as frustrating as the stolen e-mails, the
climate negotiations, and the differences of opinion may be to the list,
these are symptoms of a profound aspect of human--and non-human--existence:
variation is key to our survival. That it could also be the source of our
downfall is ironic, but not inevitable."

The notion of societal strength through diversity of perspectives is a
common one in anthropology, and an important one, also in climate science
and associated politics. I personally do not conflate the categories of
"climate skeptics" and "climate deniers," as many commentators and even
scholars do; there are very honest and earnest skeptics whose
interpretations get muffled by that, and they may indeed know part of the
puzzle - see the third of the articles listed below for an example of that.
So it is important to not alienate these scientists through use of such
language. Others may rightly be called deniers.

A key point I want to make in response to you, DG, is the importance of
attending to power inequities. There is a need to analyze, expose and seek
to transform the political and economic systems that give such power to the
voice of a few, in particular those I indeed would call the "deniers." In
other words, recognition of strength through diversity should not result in
laissez-faire - in a position which overlooks the financial and political
machinery that explains why climate skepticism is so strong in the US
compared to other countries. I have developed this argument in the first of
the articles listed below.

I appreciate Susi's rejection of the term "ClimateGate"; those of us who
generally support the IPCC and are concerned about global warming should
seek not to use it, as its mere use places the IPCC scientists in the
position of accused and guilty by association.

Having analyzed US climate politics since the mid 1990s, this hacked email
incident is yet another instance of carefully crafted theater, similar to
that which was been crafted in the wake of the releases of IPCC reports. The
second of the references below is a careful analysis of one such incident.
Only with hindsight did the key IPCC scientist involved also himself
recognize that he was but an unwilling actor in a staged event, which
started at a hearing in US Congress.

It seems to me that the important role for concerned analysts is to seek
ways to inform decision-makers and publics (those who are disposed to listen
and think, anyhow; the rest are a lost cause) about both the limits and the
strenghts of peer-reviewed science; we need to develop a more critical
understanding of what science can and cannot do, getting rid of the
erroneous "scientific fundamentalism" that exists in US culture (cf. Chris
Toumey's book, Conjuring Science) without throwing the baby out with the
bath water - that is, while salvaging and strengthening recognition of the
importance of peer-reviewed science. Again, see the first reference for my
attempt to do that. The second article serves the same purpose to the extent
that it shows, in careful detailed analysis, that the distortions and biases
that prevail on the anti-environmental side is much, much greater than those
that exist on the other side, and also in large measure disingenuous.

A key point, however, is that this kind of analysis needs to get outside of
the academy. My own article is a case in point. It's difficult to do that,
in current academic incentive structures and an age of sound bites...which
gets us to the problem of the political economy and orientation of current
educational and media structures. By contrast to the work of most academics,
the theatrics of the anti-climate forces and associated scientists are
supported by the expensive services of top public relations firms.

Cheers,

Myanna

--
Myanna Lahsen,
Associate Researcher

----------------------

*Lahsen, Myanna. “Technocracy, Democracy, and **U.S.** Climate Politics: The
Need for Demarcations” *Article published in *Science, Technology, and Human
Values* Vol. 30, No. 1 (Winter 2005), pp. 137-169. Electronically available
at:
http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/admin/publication_files/resource-1892-2005.50.pdf

Ulrich Beck and other theorists of reflexive modernization are allies in the
general projectto reduce technocracy and elitism by rendering decision
making more democratic and robust. However, this study of U.S. climate
politics reveals complexities and obstaclesto the sort of democratized
decision making envisioned by such theorists. Since theearly 1990s, the U.S.
public has been subjected to numerous media-driven campaigns toshape
understandings of this widely perceived threat. Political interests have
instigatedan important part of these campaigns, frequently resorting to
ethically problematic tacticsto undermine attempts at policy action designed
to avert or reduce the threat. The disproportionate influence of such
interests suggests the need for a more level political playing field
characterized by more equalized access to power and influence.

*Lahsen, Myanna. “The Detection and Attribution of Conspiracies: The
Controversy Over Chapter 8”*
in George E. Marcus (ed.),* Paranoia Within Reason: A Casebook on Conspiracy
as Explanation*, U. of Chicago Press, 1999. Available at:
http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/admin/publication_files/resource-1893-1999.21.pdf

For those who are interested, this final article below shows the existence
of climate change skepticism in the mainstream scientific community, a
factor many analysts don't want to recognize. It also shows climate modeling
as a socio-cultural process which also cannot be considered separate from
its political context, and why some scientists may be critical of some of
the tendencies in the mainstream science thatunderpins concern about climate
change.

*Lahsen, Myanna. “Seductive Simulations? Uncertainty Distribution Around
Climate Models”*

Article published in *Social Studies of Science* 35 (December 2005), pp.
895-922. Electronically available at:
http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/admin/publication_files/resource-1891-2005.49.pdf

This paper discusses the distribution of certainty around General
Circulation Models (GCMs) – computer models used to project possible global
climatic changes due to human emissions of greenhouse gases. It calls for a
multi-dimensional and dynamic conceptualization of how uncertainty is
distributed around this technology. Processes and dynamics associated with
GCM modeling challenge the common assumption in science studies and beyond
that producers of a given technology and its products are the best judges of
their accuracy. Drawing on participant observation and interviews with
climate modelers and the atmospheric scientists with whom they interact, the
study analyzers the political dimensions of how modelers talk and think
about their models, suggesting that modelers sometimes are less able than
some users to identify shortcomings of their models.