I have had many experiences travelling with my little gerbs, and some of them are quite funny (no time to type them out right now.. busy at work ;))  But here's my advice about flying with gerbils:

In Canada at least, they cannot tell, when you go through security, with which airline you are flying.  They also don't really care.  What's a furry gerbil when you are looking for bombs?  My advice is, hide ther gerbils when you check in.  THEY care about what is allowed and what is not.  Going through security I have never had any trouble.  Just act like you BELONG there.  Once I had to walk through the metal detector with the gerbils in hand 'cuz they wanted to run the carry-case thrrough the x-ray machine. ONCE they insisted on holding little Percy, (Why?  To make sure he had no bombs sewed inside him??)  Once you are through it is downhill.  Put the case in a duffel bag, try not to talk to them too much,and the rest of the flight is a breeze!  Good luck!

--Melanie G, Kippy, Percil