Evans asked if there was another method other than
split cage that would work, or had worked. I bought a
wire hamster cage, and put it in the middle of the
aquarium, after totally cleaning the tank so neither
gerbil had left a smell. I put the one that I thought
would be the more aggressive inside the cage, and let
the other one loose in the tank. Then I alternated
them twice a day for a week and waited for them to
start snuggling up against the bars of the cage to
sleep together.

The drawback to this is that the cage has sufficient
spacing between the bars to allow feet and noses to be
bitten if one or the other is so inclined. In
hindsight, I probably should have rewrapped the cage
with smaller gauge mesh wire to insure the safety of
both and if I am going to all that trouble, then I amy
as well make a split cage divider!

Namaste

Cynthia