What an adventure for the little gerbil!  But it is scary for mummy when little gerbil runs away..

I have lost gerbils for hours before.. they never go far, usually to a dark corner, maybe involving shoes or behind furniture or under beds.  Once mine got into my dresser and most of my summer clothes have nibbles now.. so don't worry too much, I'm sure s/he will come back.  They don't like being out in the open too long.. you never know when a hawk will swoop by.

This is what I would suggest:  Close the doors of each room and spend time in each room.  They are curious and often come out when a door is opened or closed (the vibration?).  But they will travel from room to room.  Start in the room you lost them, close the door, maybe put some sunflower seeds on the floor, and search the room.  They will usually come out and try to squeeze under the door.

Another thing that I have done when gerbils have escaped is to tap the danger thump un the floor/wall/etc with my fingers.  This often brings them out.  I am sure you have heard the gerbils doing it.  TAP -a- TAP pause TAP-a TAP pause etc.  They will come out to see what the danger is.

Good luck and do let us know when you have caught him/her.  Oh, also try a bow.  They may explore it and you can catch them.  And don't forget, closing door limits the search area.

--Melanie, Kip 'n' Percy