-----Original Message-----
From:   Evans [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Tuesday, June 26, 2001 11:57 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: How do YOU see them?

I believe that once in awhile, you come across an animal whose
personality is compatible with your own - just like once in awhile
you come across a human who's personality is completely compatible
with your own. S.A., when I used to be able to afford to horse back
once a week, in the 3 years I rode, and all the horses my trainer had
me try, there was this one special one that I just clicked with. His
name was Bronze, such a pretty quarter horse he was! From day one, we
just seemed to understand each other. I knew what he wanted, he knew
what I wanted, and there was no need to repeat ourselves!

I agree with you.  I have had many gerbils (and other furry friends) and I believe
they are often much more in tune with our emotional/psychological states than we
ourselves are.  One of my very good friends visited once from out of town- he is an
extremely warm, sensitive, gentle person, but has never really been around animals
(other than humans).  My gerbil girls, who are normally very social, picked up on this
and hid the whole evening.

I had one special gerbil once; Phinneus (anyone remember him?); whom could pretty much
read my thoughts.  And I'd like to think that I could in some way read his.  He would
react to my thoughts as if I were directly talking to him.  We were a good pair.  What
an amazing little "person".  I could sense the time when he was "gone" to me, despite
the fact that he lived a day longer.  But I knew that HE knew I loved him.  I don't
know that with all my critters.  I miss him very much.

I have a gerbil now (Sweet Pea) who is quite bright and seems very aware of the human
world.  She has become very adept at communicating with us "dumb humans" - and not
just when SHE wants something.  Once her cagemate, Duchess, was ill, but not all THAT
ill - at least, that's what it seemed to us humans.  We were debating all day whether
it was necessary to subject her to the stress of a vet visit or just let her rest and
recover on her own.  What convinced us was Sweet Pea - she got our attention  by
scratching at the top cover (like she does when she wants to come out of her cage) -
but instead of hopping out onto our hands like she normally would, she would run down
to the nest to check on Duchess, look at us, and run back up to the top shelf.  She
did this over and over.  She seemed to be telling us that something was wrong and
asking us to help.  So, we decided to trust her and took Duchess to the vet (in the
middle of the night, of course), and sure enough - it turned!
 out that she had some sort of infection in her belly.  We got medicine for Duchess
and she is fine today.  I believe that Sweet Pea helped to save her life.  Sweet Pea
is also good, by the way, at letting us know when it is TIME FOR DINNER (via very
similar methods)! :)

To answer the original question, though...  I see gerbils as exquisite, perfect little
beings, no matter who they are ( and there are quite a variety of personalities!)  I
love everything about them because, well, they are so different from us and yet can
still learn to trust us (that's more than I could do with a huge funny-smelling
giant), and because, as my vet very aptly put it; "There is not a speck of malice in
them ever".  I love their curiosity, independence, assertiveness and beauty.  I love
their ability to nurture each other and to adapt.  I love their good nature and their
reluctance to bite, even when we really deserve to be bitten.  I love the way they
curl up with each other - taking turns being "on point" so the other can truly relax
(and what a great sight to see a gerbil truly relaxed; on his back, feet sticking up
in the air, eyes squeezed shut and dreaming, confident in his partner's
protection...).  I love how their ears prick up at the sound of your app!
roach, I love how they know it's dinnertime (and are they cheeky!).  I just love them.
 Always will.  They are extremely beautiful creatures.

Molly