That is my experience too.

If there is a clear aggressor and a fleeing victim,
he'll bit right on the base of the tail.  This
happened when I tried to re-introduce Bullet to his
son Tres when Tres was about 8 weeks old.  The wound
got swollen into a ball at the base of the tail.  Tres
was very cooperative about allowing me to put a warm,
moist compress on it for a hour at a time a few times
a day and it drained.

Since I thought I'd have trouble placing him with the
ball in his tail he became my next breeder and is a
most excellent father.  Now the scar is barely
detectable at all.

Donna
ABC Gerbils
www.abcgerbils.com