Diabetes is generally associated with weight loss despite a normal
appetite. Increased thirst and increased urination are signs as well. The
urine in these situations tends to be very dilute due to the level of water
consumption. A urine dip test can "rule in" the possibility of diabetes,
but can't diagnose it definitively.

How old is Raven? One common cause of death in gerbils that can't be
determined except by a necropsy is renal failure, which does bring on
increased thirst. Also, a steady weight gain can also indicate a tumor on
the adrenal gland, although this is usually accompanied by some changes in
the sex organs, as the tumor will often cause the overproduction of sex
hormones.

Jill